Plastic Feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Me & My Girls, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Me & My Girls

Me & My Girls New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    Millwood, Washington
    Does anyone know about the safety of using plastic feeders and waterers?

I've been hearing alot of negative stuff about plastics / plasticides and I am wondering if anyone has more info on this.

I am presently using a plastic chick feeder but switcfhed my waterer bottle to a mason jar instead of plastic......

I am wondering about any risk to our birds and thier eggs / offspring....[​IMG]

Does anyone have any recommendations on feeder / waters? I need to get the big ones now that the girls are in ther coop.

Thanks!

2. emeraldquill

emeraldquill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    I've got plastic feeders for my girls .....to be honest I never thought about the effects but in my opinion we can sometimes be a little OTT in keeping chickens. Lets face it, they have been kept on farms for years surrounded by all manner of substances and it was never an issue before. Secondly, I can only imagine that any direct link to plastic and it's effects would take much longer to become apparent than the lifespan of our girlies.
    Just my thoughts...

3. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I tend to agree. We can tend to over think things, but if you are not comfortable, then don't do it. I use plastic in the summer because it's lighter and that's the only way to get my favorite style of water. Can't use it here in the winter do to freezing and cracking. That's when the metal buckets have to come out.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I think most of the concern is over polystyrene which is the clear, slick plastic and pthalates which is the stuff that makes shower curtains and rubber duckies soft (just 2 examples, there are lots of things containing this chemical).

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Plastic fixtures are an ease to manufacture, as opposed to the older, metal ones. This makes them cheap to make and buy (well thats the theory.) SO they are popular.

AS far as hurting the chickens through outgassing or other erosive elements, I wouldnt worry about it. Plastic is inert and will be with us for a long time.

I do find they hold up well enough, although they are subject to UV degradation; I have some that are over 5 years old and still in service. Nothing lasts for ever, but I suspect they will outlast metal fixtures.

As for the whole enviro-petro stuff, well that is your decision. They are made from petro based source materials and some people have a hard time with that.
    You gotta reconcile that.

6. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    I have been using plastic waterers for my hen's entire lives and have never had a problem with them. Plastic ones tend to have larger 'trays' so there is more room for them to peck at food/water. I have not heard of the plasticide problem with my brand (backyard poultry feeder, green and white plastic one) and it is also pretty strong/sturdy unlike some other plastic ones. Also, metal ones get dirty faster with the smaller trays, and they will rust, especially the waterer. (at least that's what I've heard.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by