Plastic half closed brooders no no.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Mar 29, 2009.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I learned the hard way that you do not put chicks in a mostly closed top brooder made of plastic with pine chips inside. I noticed my first set of chicks would shake their heads after the pine chicks were added but did not put two and two together. In my defense I was just starting out and did not know better. My first hens still have that head twitch. Although they are laying now.
    I got a new batch of chicks from Speckled hen. They are lively and I did not notice any head twitching until I added the chips to the brooder. It registered this time. I put my head down at their level and it made my eyes water. The pine chips were too strong in the partially closed brooder. I quickly removed most of them and the next day transferred the chicks to a better arrangement. One week later there is no head twitching. I got it in time. Please be aware that pine is quite volital at the temps we keep a brooder for two week old chicks. I hope this helps someone else.
    I have bought some aspen chips with no oils and will watch to see if my newest batch have any problems with them. Jean

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Glad you were able to figure out what was going on. I don't put a lid on my brooder because I had read on BYC that it is very important that there be good air circulation.

Good Luck with your chicks.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Thanks for the tip! I use netting over top my brooder but never thought about this.Never know later down the road, I could have made the same mistake!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by