Plastic ingestion or food poisoning?!!

Chicken❤️er

Songster
Aug 31, 2018
Charlottesville, VA
Yesterday, my light Brahma, Daisy, was looking perfectly normal, free ranging with plenty of energy. Then, ever since this morning, she has been acting slightly lethargic and perched on a stick all day in a contorted position. Her feet are fine, no symptoms on her face, vent is clear, crop is full and hard but not smelly. No sign of mites, either. Daisy likes to eat things she’s not supposed to: plastic, glass, and other trash around the yard. She was also digging through the compost pile yesterday and may have eaten something toxic. Another possibility is that she is egg-bound. However, there are so many different things it could be and I need advice to how I should treat this. Any possible diagnoses are welcome, too! The quick onset and the fact that she was near the compost where there is a lot of trash scattered on the ground from previous residents makes me think that it’s either toxic food or she ate a piece of trash. How do I treat that??
Thanks,
Layla

Attachments

• 957A9D90-D2C5-4FD4-A75E-848003D3B407.jpeg
    957A9D90-D2C5-4FD4-A75E-848003D3B407.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 6
  • D523D26B-6CD0-4F64-9456-055DB7A3418A.jpeg
    D523D26B-6CD0-4F64-9456-055DB7A3418A.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 3
Upon closer inspection, I put dry rice in the compost that was inside a plastic bag in a balloon as a stress ball for over ten years. I’ve heard ppl say that you’re not supposed to feed dry rice because it expands in their stomach but I thought that was a myth. Perhaps it was the fact that is was old, in a balloon? I really don’t know. (I DID remove the balloon and bag before putting the rice in the compost).

So I stuck my finger in her vent to feel for an egg, and I feel something soft and squishy in the shape of an egg, but it feels as if it attaches to her skin. I’m going to give her a soak, but it seems as if the egg has no shell. She pooped and it was mucusey, runny, and mostly clear with a little yellow

Okay, I gave her a soak in warm water, and let the chickens out of the run to free range. She ran down the hill, and the force of the impact must’ve knocked the egg loose, because she popped it out. It didn’t have a shell, just a membrane holding it together. Anyways, I’m still confused about why it seemed the egg was literally attached to her skin. Is that where they form? I know I haven’t gotten any replies all day, but if anyone sees this I would appreciate an explanation!

Greetings Chicken❤️er,

This is the best case scenario. Your chicken did expel the shell-less egg, and didn't get sick from eating the rice.

Expelling a shell-less egg takes a lot of effort on the part of the hen. It is also distressing for them. Many times they will fluff up and just sit in a corner with their head down. Or, they will waddle around slowly, and look in pain. Sometimes the egg membrane will rupture in the oviduct and the contents will be expelled as the day goes by. Sometimes the other hens will enjoy a scrumptious snack by pecking at the shell-less egg and then eating the yolk. The membrane will be seen hanging out of the hen's vent. But eventually it too will be expelled. When I see this, I'll just give it a little tug and pull it out. The egg wasn't attached to the hen's cloaca when you inserted your finger, it was just sitting there waiting for another good push from the hen.

Good for you! You did the right thing to help your hen. You gave her a nice warm soak. Adding some Epsom Salt to the warm water is also helpful for a hen in egg laying distress. But, if you don't have any Epsom Salt no problem, warm water will do. Yes, they will also have runny or watery poop when having trouble laying an egg.

Why did your hen lay a shell-less egg? There are many causes: a fright during the night, low calcium, going into or coming out of the egg laying cycle, weather stress, or illness. I have found that a sudden drop in night time temps can cause some hens to lay a shell-less egg. This is really the egg being expelled, rather than using up the body's energy to shell it. The hen needs that energy to warm herself due to weather stress. This can happen in the Summer too, as temperatures soar from one day to the next. Some hens just need plenty of time to acclimate. Age doesn't seem to be a factor, as I have had older hens, as well as young hens have this happen.

In the days ahead, you should monitor the hen's behavior, eating, drinking and especially her poop. Her poop should return to a normal solid, normal color poop. If she continues to show abnormal symptoms, take her to a vet. Or, perhaps that will be another mystery to be helped here on BYC.

P.S.
My property was trash nightmare when I first moved here too. Take time to run a magnet on wheels, over the property. Pick up all broken glass and get rid of it. Dig out any areas that appear to be polluted by engine oil, or any other unidentified substances. Plastic wrappers are also a hazard to your chickens. Some chickens will eat this stuff and end up with a severe crop impaction that can only be resolved with surgery. :eek:

These are my thoughts on your hen's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :frow

I'm glad your hen is better and the balloon egg is out. I would give her (as in make her take it) a calcium supplement for a few days until she lays some hard shelled eggs.

Thank you everyone!! I know this reply was a little late but she is feeling much better and I will do my best to get rid of the trash. A couple years ago we cleaned it up but I guess as the ground is eroded trash that is buried more deeply appears on the surface :barnieI guess it is just an ongoing project lol. But thanks for your wisdom-I have another chicken now (ugh, it never ends) who seems to be acting off. I checked for an egg and she is not egg bound, crop is empty, eyes are bright, she is very vocal, no mites, vent is clear, haven’t seen a poop sample. She is not slow or lethargic and is very fast running away from me. However, she just sits by herself, doesn’t eat, and keeps shaking her head vigorously. If anyone has advice on this, I would appreciate any help!!
Thank you so much,
Layla

Greetings Chicken❤️er,

I know what you mean. It took me almost 5 years to clean up around the property. You're right, erosion does expose more secrets below the surface. Yep, it's ongoing...

Head shaking can be anything from mites on the scalp, a head ache (yes, chickens have head aches), ear infection, sinus infection, eye infection, parasites in the mouth or throat (worms, canker, etc.).

Wrap her in a towel and examine the head feathers, mouth, throat, nares, eyes, and ear holes. Look for discharge (thin and thick), off odor, parasites, growths etc. Have some diced grapes for her as a reward for being a good girl during the exam. Hopefully, she'll eat them. Observer her reaction to the grapes. Gather as many symptoms and clues as you can.

If you don't see anything, next, you might want to have a fecal float test done. It's not good when a chicken stops eating. Hopefully, she is drinking water. Yep, chicken health issues never end. :idunno

God's Blessings to you and your flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom