Plastic kids playhouse for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DulcyDoll, Oct 30, 2008.

1. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Something like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2316863Do you think it could make a suitable coop for 2 or 3 chickens?
    I would wire over the windows and insulate them for winter.
    I would turn it so the back is towards the run so I can use the door to clean it out. Cut a door for the chickens to enter in the back wall (fill in gap with foam insulation to retain structure insulation.) Install a couple roosts, nest box's. And bolt it to a wooden floor

Does anyone see any problem with using it?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:May I? [​IMG] There.

Hmmm, for $400 I would think you could probably find or build something at least big enough to walk in, wouldn't you? But, if you want something smaller and plastic, I use a large barn style plastic doghouse for my coop, and it was only $60 brand new. I just can't imagine putting that kind of $ into something so small. It's cute though. [​IMG]

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    $400 is a lot of money for a little coop IMHO! [​IMG] Though it is nice looking. [​IMG]

I believe Lowes has a very nice playhouse for around $139? I would like to get the one from Lowes myself as I am constuction-deficit.

I think if you would still like a plastic playhouse instead, you might look for a good used one on Craig's list, etc.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, And OH NO im not buying a new one, but there are a ton on CL for like $10-$40, this on was just an example lol...wish i had that kind of money!

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:Oh~~I am so glad to hear that (I am a bit of a penny pincher in my home!) You are really smart to get one for $10 to $40~~Now THAT is a perfect price! [​IMG] And they really do look so good, too. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Oh, good deal then. I think it'll make a really nice little hen house for a couple of chicks. [​IMG]

A couple of year ago I sold my own daughter's plastic play house on Craigslist. Had no idea I would be getting chickens one day. Have I kicked myself about that? You betcha! [​IMG]

7. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    It will only be maybe 3 at the most. My blind chick is going to be living in it with a bantam or two (when she grows up lol)

I was looking at a dog house at walmart tonight and what I'm thinking is I'll have to have their food and water inside so Radar can find it if she needs to, so the doghouse would be too small.

And it will be easy, because I am planning to have the whole coop and run raised off the ground a foot or two.

Anyone have any further suggestions on my initial plan?

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I was looking at one of these playhouses for one of my coops. Biggest problem I couldn't figure out how to over come was ventilation. Once you get the wire and windows you can open and closed made, there is no way to ventilate it without cutting big holes in the roof someplace.

I got mine for nothing on Freecycle.

9. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I had one for my three chickens at one point and had a wooden rabbit hutch inside for our cold climate,worked fine.

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be inclined to spend the money on a wooden one so you can insulate and ventilate it more easily...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by