Plastic leg bands or metal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CBee, Feb 19, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I'm about to place an order on www.randallburkey.com for leg bands for identifying my chickens, but was curious about the difference between plastic and metal types.

What kinds do you guys use, and what do you think should be better for the chickens? With the metal ones I would be afraid of them cutting themselves. [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have both. I use the size 9 plastic numbered bandettes for my silkies, size 7 for call ducks, and I use the adjustable metal bands size 9-13 for my brahmas, and silkies.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Metal. Metal. Metal. Metal. Metal.

Metal ones [​IMG] I used the plastic kind, and a year or so later they're brittle and most of the birds have lost them. If you really need to know who's who, metal is the best bet without a doubt. They are smooth on the edges, but be sure to keep an eye on any leg bands, especially on growing birds.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I also use both...I think the plastic are easier to read if there are numbers on them...I forget what sizes I use but have them on chickens, pigeons, quail

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    That's true, if you want to know who someone is before you try to catch them!

6. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I use the plastic bandettes. Mine do a great deal of free ranging and this way I can see the number easily when they are moving about, which I use to take notes.

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use plastic because I believe it doesn't conduct cold and heat as readily as does metal. In our cold New England winters and sunny summers, I like to avoid having bands that have even a slight risk of causing heat or frostbite burns on my birds. Maybe I'm paranoid, but what the heck. [​IMG]

The state poultry inspector uses metal bands when my flock is bloodtested, and they have never caused problems, but I have this "thing" about preferring plastic.

8. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    have you ever thought of...using colored...zip ties?

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    The zip ties are hard to remove.

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    They're also hard to use to keep records, as there's only so many colours a person can buy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by