Plastic nest boxes??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntry chickadee, May 9, 2011.

1. kuntry chickadee

kuntry chickadee Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    I have access to square plastic 5gal buckets "food grade" I was wondering if anyone has info on using plastic for nest boxes?
    Thanks in advance.

2. kuntry chickadee

May 2, 2011
    bump

3. Brown Chicka Brown Cow

Brown Chicka Brown Cow Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the square dish pan type that only cost $1.75 each at my local Fred's store....they are on shelves with the pan's side screwed to the coop wall so my girls can move around and not fall....they are filled with fresh hay....my girls love them...can be removed to clean easily as well

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. kuntry chickadee

May 2, 2011
    Awesome! Thank you so much. I didn't really feel there would be a problem, but you never know sometimes! [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use 5 gal buckets for nest. I just turn them on their sides. Make sure they are secure, they can roll. Look at my page for pictures.

Imp

6. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I use the lidded cat litter boxes. There so easy to keep clean!

7. kuntry chickadee

May 2, 2011
    Thank ya'll so much! I'm very new here and already lovin' it! Ya'll are all awesome! [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use large, hooded kitty litter boxes, and plastic milk crates, and a dresser drawer, and oh yes, some pop-out nest boxes in some of the coops constructed with them.

5 gallon buckets would work quite well, as Imp has said, -and especially for the larger hens! - as long as they are secured so they don't roll. (Whoa, just had an "occupied rollaway nest" mental image that reminded me of the old college front-loader dryer game....)

Buh-GAWK!!!!

9. kuntry chickadee

May 2, 2011
    LOL gryeyes! What an image indeed! [​IMG] It sounds like you can use most anything as long as they can get in it.....and of course it meets with their approval! [​IMG]

10. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:I have the 5 gal buckets in mine......open end at the hatch for egg collecting and the bottoms cut out and facing inside coop for chicken access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by