Plastic or G. metal Feeders/waters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by classless chickens, Apr 13, 2009.

1. classless chickens

classless chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    I have gone out and bought feeders for the new coop and I was wondering if I got the right ones. I bought a plastic waterer and a Galvanized metal one. Which do you think is better? Could you give particulars as to why? I want the right ones, easy to fill easy to clean etc.....

2. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I have both. You can only put the ACV in the plastic ones and I will only put the metal ones on the heater for winter. So, depending on how you manage your flock either/or will be fine. They both are the same with cleaning. At least I haven't found any difference.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    What is ACV [​IMG]

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I'm old school are really prefer the galvanized ones.

5. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Apple Cider Vinegar

6. classless chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    Thanks for the replies. The Galvanized feeder and the plastic waterer is what I am staying with. One thing though......what is the reason behind putting apple cider vinegar in the waterer? I am sure I read this before, but it escapes me.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I got some new plastic feeders for my guys last summer and they have all pretty much fallen apart. So I do not plan to buy anything plastic for them anymore. My husband made a wooden feeder for them about 20 years ago and it is still in service.

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:ACV aids in keeping the digestive system healthy it works for humans too. It also kills botulism C bacteria, along with germs. You will find with it's use that your water dispensers will clean much easier.

As far as water I use 3 gallon buckets from the deli at the supermarket. The ducks need to be able to submerse their head to keep the nostrils clean of dander and down. I only use the plastic water dispensers for chicks so they can reach the water. 5 gallon buckets work good too, but holes must be cut towards the top for the ducks and chickens to be able to reach the head through. The bucket will hold a days supply of water and stays relatively clean for just the chickens, there is no keeping water clean for the ducks.

9. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    If the waterer is in the sun the plastic will get more growth in it then the metal, but is easier to clean I am told. I was thinking about a plastic one inside and metal one for the outside run. [​IMG]

10. classless chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    Ok. Now that makes me think of another question.....Where do you put the feeder and waterer? In the coop or in the run or both. I have seen the pictures on coops with the feed in the coop and water in the run. Or is it food and water in the coop and another waterer in the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by