Plastic or Galvanized Metal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mandee, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mandee

Mandee New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm having trouble choosing the right material for feeders and waterer's for my chickens. I am kind of iffy about using plastic or polyethylene because it may leach harmful chemicals (such as BPA) after frequent use. Galvanized metal will eventually rust, and using certain supplements (such as ACV) will cause it to break down even quicker. Does anyone use old-fashioned glass? Please let me know. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. K-Chick

K-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    NW In
    I choose galvanized due to the fact that if I put it outside it won't get scum on the inside from the sun. Think about how you will keep it warm in the winter too. I don't know how a plastic waterer will handle a heat lamp or whatever you will use. The ACV is a problem in galvanized tho. Six of one and a half a dozen of another. Thats an old saying meaning its a 50/50 choice. I'm sure I'm not helping much.[​IMG]

3. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I prefer galvanized for waterers. Every large ( 2 gallons or more) plastic one I have ever purchased has had a leaking issue, I end up throwing them away. Galvanized is more expensive but lasts longer, does not have leaking issues and I can also put it on top of a "heater" in the winter to keep the water open and not freeze. Just my opinion.

For little chicks the screw on base plastic waterers are fine until they go outside and need a dependable waterer.

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    when buying the plastic waterers which is what I used for yrs
    they make them for heating bases in the winter now
    you obly use a 25 watt up to 40 watt bulg and they are made for heat
    ask the dealer when buying
    I never had leaking problems with mine
    also set te plastic water on a level board so it does not set side ways that would cause leaking
    just be careful when putting the bottom lid on the jar

also you will want to water with apple cider vinegar and galvanized is not good

also any thing over gallon size is way too much water for a few chickens
    I would use more of the gallon plastic waterers than a large galvanized one
    chickens need water fresh at least once a dqy

the large waterers need changed at least once a day and are generally too much water

galvanized feeders last longer and are great for hens and roosters adult

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by