Plastic or metal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chris10sen, Jul 15, 2010.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    I am a way newbie. My chickies are now three weeks old and it is getting close to time to buy their big feeder and waterer. I need advice on which is better plastic or metal Any advice would be greater appreciated.

Lisa

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I bought metal, but I have only had my Chickens 4 days. LOL I just prefer something that will last longer than I want it to.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    IMO, I'd go with plastic. If taken care of, plastic will last about 1 million years. It can be washed/bleached numerous times without degrading.

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    For waterers and feeder, I prefer plastic...
    I like the convenience of just throwing them in the dishwasher and knowing they're being sanitized. Another reason I like the plastic one for water is that I frequently add ACV to the water and didn't think it would be a good idea to mix that with metal

We heat our chicken houses, so freezing of the waterers is not a concern.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I like both, but if you are planing on putting ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) you will want to go with Plastic.
    Now if you live where it gets cold and you are planing heat your waterer then you may want to use Metal.

Now with that said if I had to pick just one it would be Metal. With Metal waterers you don't need to worry about them freezing, there strong, and you can heat them easy. I believe that the Metal waterers are much better.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. spell

spell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    we went with metal because of the possibility of BPA in plastic. i am new to this and did not know about the vinegar.....something to think about.
    i'm sticking with metal though because we just don't use plastic anymore.

7. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

just curious... for what reason would you add vinegar to the water?

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    just curious... for what reason would you add vinegar to the water?

Apple Cider Vinegar -

Apple Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium. It will normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.
    A few more benefits of Oral Apple Cider Vinegar are:
    *Reduces intestinal and fecal odors.
    *Aids in digestion.
    *Helps to break down minerals and fats.
    *Assists the animal to assimilate proteins.
    *Assists the animal to convert food better.
    *It lowers the pH of the digestive tract which will make an environment less welcoming to pathogens
    therefore will reduce common infections and increases resistance to disease.
    *Improves stamina and fertility.
    *It is a great overall tonic that will improve the general well being of the animal.

If started while Birds are young (1-1/2 to 2weeks), birds
    *Will feather out quicker.
    *Are hardier.
    *Grow to their potential sooner when used with an adequate feed.

I find the meat is also leaner due to the fats being converted quicker.

Cautions:
    Do not use metal water dishes (except stainless steal).
    Vinegar should not be used internally with animals that have an irritated lining of the intestinal tract.
    Add 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to every 4 fl ozs of water, or 1/8-1/4 cup per gallon of water.

Chris​

9. fleurdujour

fleurdujour Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I have metal waterers and I am going to change to plastic. I am new to this too, but plastic is more practical for ACV, sanatizing etc. Also, metal ones are heavy and leak (overflow) when you place them in the coop after refilling, JMO

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I use both. I have had 4 metal waterers for over 20 years. I have had 3 our of my 6 plastic waterers make it 10 and are still in use. The plastic waterers will eventually degrade to the point of where they will just shatter. That being said...the plastic waterers still have the price marked on the bottom and I only paid $1.75 for a gallon unit so even losing 3 of the 6 cost me less than 6 bucks. I prefer the metal waterers due to the fact that they last forever and mine hold 8 gallons each. (I have yet to find a plastic unit of that side) I still use the plastic for my chicks and use them for my hens randomly around the pen for so I can put ACV in them.

Long story short...you can't go wrong with either. I have a larger yard with over 100 birds so I need the larger waterers but if I had a small flock...the plastic will do just fine and weighs less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by