Plastic owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickPeas, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Do they work to ward off hawks or any other kind of predator? I saw a mention of them in a post somewhere and was wondering if any uses them.

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    No.

I tried one. It was used as a perch. Birds notice that it may look like on owl. But it don't move. Therefore it must be safe.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Save your money for more chicks. They make a good prech.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have not used them to protect my chick but I did try them near the garden. No Luck!! I think once the predetors realize that it will not react to their actions they will know it is not a threat. I say save your money.

5. icthus

icthus Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    I use one in my garden and it works to scare away crows. The crows dig up my seed corn and eat it. They even pull up the small corn plants to get the seed still attached to the root. Last year I had to replant several times until I got the owl. Mine has a "bobble head" for added realism. It is imperative that you move the decoy every couple days or they will eventually figure out it is fake. I don't know if it will work on hawks, never tried it.

6. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

I made a more realistic 'bird' from a wire coat hanger on a length of 2x4 and fitted the wire with fluttering cloth. It hung on a strap of bungee that moved with the tree limb it was attached to. Pretty darn scary. I don't think anything chirped or twitched in my yard for days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by