plastic poultry wire....anyone ever used this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudpaw, Oct 7, 2009.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I came across an interesting product at Home Depot that I thought I'd ask about before I bought any... It's a plastic chicken wire: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Fencing-Wire/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xipZbb00/R-100384028/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I
    was originally planning on buying the vinyl coated chicken wire for my coop, but this to be an interesting option as well. Now, I do have cats and dogs that will be around this coop from time to time, my main concern is would it withstand a determined wandering tom cat or some random city critters (we've had a couple opossums but my dogs killed them) ? Oh, and this coop is within a 6' wood privacy fenced yard. So, has anyone used this or something like it?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I've used it to separate breeding pens only. We thought it was great when we found it and we like it alot better than the metal stuff.

Laurie

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use it to line my inner pens off from each other so the roos can't stick their heads thru. I wouldn't trust it to stop any predators.

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I've gotten some to keep the chickens out of the gardens. It's lightweight and easy to put up only when they're going to be in that area.

I would expect it to work for predator protection, unless all you need is a run roof that keeps hawks out.

There are electric plastic poultry fences, though. One of my friends uses these for daytime ranging of his small flock. He moves the electric plastic fencing to different areas, and leave the birds out in those areas with a small open chicken hut for shelter while he's at work.

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:DITTO. I just love it. No puncture wounds to the hands. [​IMG]

6. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I just picked up a couple rolls to divide out "scratching" areas....all within a fenced yard....I WILL NOT trust it for any type of protection at all.....just like chicken wire it will keep chickens in, but not predators out.

Works great for me though....I string a low line (picture clothsline), and hang it off with shower curtian loops....VERY lightweight, and VERY portable.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My birds went over it and through it. I must have monster chickens.
    It did well with bantam Cochins up to a point but it did not keep my chickens out of my garden even when I put it higher and a few rabbits enjoyed chewing holes in it.
    I have used it to cover the top of a few small pens and liked it for that.

8. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I use it for the roof cover on the run and on the two top barn doors so my chickens don't fly out. I don't think it will keep out any dogs or cats.

9. Tecalli

Tecalli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    State College, PA
    I used it to cover the top of my run as hawk protection.

10. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I used a stronger version.....basically a plastic mesh hardware cloth (from tractor supply) on a temporary tractor, and one of my dogs ripped through it in about 3 seconds [​IMG]

I ended up repairing it, as I mostly used it just to separate a new chicken from the rest of the flock and then one day came home to a missing chicken.......one whole side had been ripped or cut open. Not sure if it was leftover from the dog attack or was another animal.

I did zip tie it back together and still keep young chicks out there so they can get some fresh air. I don't think it would keep a determined tomcat out.....all they have to do is bite, chew and pull a few minutes and they should be able to bust in. Raccoons should break in almost as fast as a dog. Mine is truly temporary and is within a fenced yard (my regular flock is loose around this pen daily).

Still, it works well for dividing baby pens, temporary tractors within a securely fenced yard, lining heavy duty wire fencing that maybe just has larger spacing, hawk protection, etc etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by