plastic poultry wire....anyone ever used this?

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
I came across an interesting product at Home Depot that I thought I'd ask about before I bought any... It's a plastic chicken wire: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Fencing-Wire/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xipZbb00/R-100384028/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I
was originally planning on buying the vinyl coated chicken wire for my coop, but this to be an interesting option as well. Now, I do have cats and dogs that will be around this coop from time to time, my main concern is would it withstand a determined wandering tom cat or some random city critters (we've had a couple opossums but my dogs killed them) ? Oh, and this coop is within a 6' wood privacy fenced yard. So, has anyone used this or something like it?

Last edited:
I've gotten some to keep the chickens out of the gardens. It's lightweight and easy to put up only when they're going to be in that area.

I would expect it to work for predator protection, unless all you need is a run roof that keeps hawks out.

There are electric plastic poultry fences, though. One of my friends uses these for daytime ranging of his small flock. He moves the electric plastic fencing to different areas, and leave the birds out in those areas with a small open chicken hut for shelter while he's at work.

Quote:
DITTO. I just love it. No puncture wounds to the hands.
clap.gif

I just picked up a couple rolls to divide out "scratching" areas....all within a fenced yard....I WILL NOT trust it for any type of protection at all.....just like chicken wire it will keep chickens in, but not predators out.

Works great for me though....I string a low line (picture clothsline), and hang it off with shower curtian loops....VERY lightweight, and VERY portable.

My birds went over it and through it. I must have monster chickens.
It did well with bantam Cochins up to a point but it did not keep my chickens out of my garden even when I put it higher and a few rabbits enjoyed chewing holes in it.
I have used it to cover the top of a few small pens and liked it for that.

I use it for the roof cover on the run and on the two top barn doors so my chickens don't fly out. I don't think it will keep out any dogs or cats.

I used a stronger version.....basically a plastic mesh hardware cloth (from tractor supply) on a temporary tractor, and one of my dogs ripped through it in about 3 seconds
roll.png

I ended up repairing it, as I mostly used it just to separate a new chicken from the rest of the flock and then one day came home to a missing chicken.......one whole side had been ripped or cut open. Not sure if it was leftover from the dog attack or was another animal.

I did zip tie it back together and still keep young chicks out there so they can get some fresh air. I don't think it would keep a determined tomcat out.....all they have to do is bite, chew and pull a few minutes and they should be able to bust in. Raccoons should break in almost as fast as a dog. Mine is truly temporary and is within a fenced yard (my regular flock is loose around this pen daily).

Still, it works well for dividing baby pens, temporary tractors within a securely fenced yard, lining heavy duty wire fencing that maybe just has larger spacing, hawk protection, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom