1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plastic shed coop... need thoughts fairly quick on this!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristip, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Ok lovely friends... need your thoughts. Right now we have a nice coop that DH built for me 2 years ago that is 8x4 raised off the ground. You can kinda see in this pic and I hope it is not too big. It has an attached 8x8 run that is getting expanded by another 8x8. here is my question... I have an opportunity at a great deal on a plastic shed that is 8x10 I beleive. I think it has a plastic floor and windows. It also has gutters and rain barrel attachments and a tiny side shed attached for food and supplies. I would leave the double doors on the inside of the run and open them up. The downfall is that we would probably have to build some nestboxes for off the ground(although my girls prefer the bottom ones to the top ones we have in our 4 nestbox set). New roosts to go up. Downfall is I would have to go through the door in the run to get the eggs inside shed which can get swampy. Upside is space. Do I stay with what I have or is a plastic shed adaptable enough? We are in WI and I figure in winter I can leave only one door open during day or make a small door cutout
    [​IMG]
    ReplyQuote Multi
    I cant remember size if it is 8x6 or 8x 9 as there are 2 out there with this brand... but this is what it looks like and being last years model the price is slashed in half...
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5780150

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
  3. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    LOL if it was me, I would cut a hole in the side of the shed, to the outside cabinet for the nest boxes, so you can access the eggs without going through the run.

4. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Looks like a good idea. I have thought about doing this too. The only thing about those sheds is that they need to be well leveled or the doors and seams don't link properly. Also, rodents love to tunnel/nest in the area under the floor and since it can't be raised this could be a problem. You could put it on a concrete slab, or some other rodent proof, level base. Packed gravel with hardware cloth skirting? Hope to see pics when you get it worked out.

5. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Fox...I beleive it has a plastic floor in there, so it woudl just need to be secured with harware cloth where the shed meets the run.

Urbanescapee.... I didnt think of that... so line up the laying boxes with the side shed so you can just open that door to get the eggs out? I like that!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use a rubbermaid shed for a coop. It has worked well for me, for the past 8 years. You can see pics on my page.
    <-- link to the left.

Imp

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Looks good, just make sure it has plenty of ventilation and is situated in a shady spot, plastic gets insanely warm in the heat compared to wooden coops.

8. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    When you see the floor section piece you'll know what I mean. It is plastic but not solid. The bottom has open cells divided by cross pieces for structure (does that make sense?), so there are many spaces under there of 2-3 inches tall. Rodent heaven. We have rat problems here so I am always trying to keep them at bay. I know folks who have these sheds and the rats love it under there if it is just sitting on the ground. Once they start tunneling you can lose your level, since the floor is still somewhat flexible.

I like urbans idea about the nest boxes too!

9. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    Could you build a level "deck" frame for it to sit on? A foot or two off the ground should be sufficient to keep the rodents from nesting under it...

Just a thought!

Like the idea about putting the nest boxes in the extra "shed" space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by