Plastic Sheds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KBinCA, May 2, 2009.

1. KBinCA

KBinCA New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Anyone thought of using a economical 'plastic shed' from C*stc* and retrofitting for a hen house? I am new to this place...I am the father of 4 RIRs...just starting out.

2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    yes, ive thought about it when I move into my new place and I can find one cheap enough

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have one on my back patio set up for dog grooming and a few wire crates in there. Lemme tell you, it gets HOT in there, and it is only May so far. I will be putting up an awning over it to hopefully keep it cool enough this summer to still be useable. Mine has a built in skylight, and I LOVE IT! I will always look for that feature in any future shed purchases.

Edit to add, it gets hot, even though it has windows on both sides and double doors that open wide. Get one with as much ventilation as you can manage is all I can say... Doors on both ends would be GREAT, but they didn't offer that option in the one I bought.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  4. KBinCA

KBinCA New Egg

May 2, 2009
    I have thought that adding opening windows, cutting the holes with a saber saw and drill, siliconing those in, I may be alright, I am wondering no one else has done this. The plastic shed would be easy to keep clean and add 2X4's to for a 'Hen Door' and roost. ??? What do you all think?

5. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    sound like it should work to me! keep us updated on your progress! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by