Plastic storage sheds for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by barbarachick, May 21, 2010.

1. barbarachick

barbarachick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Port Richey Florida
    am also a real newbie and have 4chickens-want to use a 7x10 plastic storage shed for a coop!? have any experience modifying the plastic storage sheds for a coop???[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a link that may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56815

I
    converted a plastic Little Tykes playhouse to coop. So far, I have only a few disappointments with it. The main one being - getting a good caulk seal at the wall joints to keep rain water out. As a storage unit, it doesn't really matter if you end up with a couple of wet spots in the corners of the shed after a torrential rain. As a coop, however, it means wet litter that has to be removed and replaced everytime it rains. That's a drag. Also, take note of the ventilation issues discussed in that thread I gave you the link to. For more info, try putting "plastic shed" in the search box. No doubt there's others on BYC who've used these sheds, but they're just not on the forum right now.

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    This might help you.

4. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I just (finally) got my Rubbermaid shed coop assembled outside yesterday! I put in a roof vent and six top-of-wall vents, as well as adding a window & pop door. I took pictures and plan to post them today on my BYC page, if you'd like to see my progress so far.

5. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    There! I posted pictures and descriptions of my Rubbermaid-shed-based coop so far.
    You can see them on my BYC page.

6. barbarachick

barbarachick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Port Richey Florida
    wow! what a great job!! really gave us some great ideas about how to modify ours!!! THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by