Plastic totes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebeccamariemiller, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Anyone ever incubate and hatch eggs in a plastic tote? Would it work the same as a styrofoam cooler? I am researching to figure out what I'm going to do. It would probably be kept on my bathroom. It is pretty warm in there and since the hot water constantly drizzles the humidity should be pretty easy to maintain. Our house is heated by wood and hot water so it is always warm.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well the key to incubation is temperature and the key to hatching with humidity of course at all times you need some air/oxygen.

Cooler are used for the insulating properties of the cooler. The inside temp is less affected in a cooler by outside swings than a plastic container. If you could hold temp steady then there is no reason it wouldn't work. A large heat sink might fix this problem However, a cooler is pretty cheap so I think I'd go more toward something with insulation.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The thin plastic will not be insulated enough. You would never be able to keep a constant temperature.

4. Nimblefreckle

Nimblefreckle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Has anyone ever used a glass aquarium?

5. Americangame

Americangame Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2012
    Interesting questions if also like to know if a fish tank or plastic box would work

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    The incubator needs to maintain a steady temperature, very difficult to do with non-insulating materials such as glass and plastic. Temperature fluctuations of even a few degrees can lead to embryo death, deformities and failure to hatch.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    A plastic tote WILL work. I have made a plastic tote incubator, I only did it for the experiment, and they are inexpensive, and can be VERY large. In some totes, you can place 2 egg turners. You need GOOD air flow, and as for the thermostat, use a thermostat that is trusted. In my homemade cooler, and tote incubators, I use a water heater thermostat, you can also use a wafer thermostat.

If I were you, I would buy an old used cooler, and use it as your incubator, and you can use the tote as a large hatcher.

If you have any questions, I would enjoy helping you. I am really interested in building incubators, and if I don't help you build one, keep me updated on any progress you're making.

8. Americangame

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm interested in making a cooler incubator however sometimes I just think spending the 150 for it might be better
    Would a cooler incubator be as effective and less expensive as store bought incubators?

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    My cooler incubator holds just as many eggs, and works better than the little giant incubator.

10. Americangame

Nov 27, 2012
    Thanks for te reply so what I am thinking is using an old cooler
    2 light bulbs
    Wafer thermostat
    Comp fan
    Not sure on which model of thermamator adjuster
    And no sure how I could make an egg turner system to turn th from te out side

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by