PLASTIC under new chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goodeggsforyou, Mar 29, 2011.

1. goodeggsforyou

goodeggsforyou Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    Hi (again).

Will it be too slippery for the new chicks if I place plastic sheeting under the pine shavings??

Thanks SO much!

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I would put some paper towels (quilted bounty) on top of the plastic to keep the chicks from slipping. [​IMG]

3. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    If your talking about hard plastic, like a rubbermade tub. No problem. I have used a rubbermade bin for a brooder and had good results.

I would not use plastic sheeting for fear they would eat it.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Try one of those vinyl table cloths with the felt backing. The top is sometimes textured.

5. goodeggsforyou

Feb 10, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    Thanks so very much to All (sorry for posting again - sometimes it seems it doesn't show).
    Anyhow, it is wonderful to have such kind and helpful folks. Truly - thanks again [​IMG]

6. goodeggsforyou

Feb 10, 2011
    Walla Walla, WA
    Thanks so very much to All (sorry for posting again - sometimes it seems it doesn't show).
    Anyhow, it is wonderful to have such kind and helpful folks. Truly - thanks again [​IMG]

7. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Like I said in the other post, It should be fine as long as you use pine shavings. I always start out with paper towel and then add pine shavings when the chicks are about a week old. I had a tarp under mine with shavings on top, worked out great!

8. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I put linoleum tiles (the self sticking type) then put shavings right on top. I just sweep it out. I used to line it with newspaper and just roll it up shavings and all. That worked good also.

9. bentmtnhen

bentmtnhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    SW Virginia
    I've got a double layer of paper grocery bags under my pine bedding. Soaks up the liquid & not as slippery as plastic. Free too!!!

3 EEs, 3 RIRs, 3 Red Stars, 3 BA girls & 1 happy BA boy (I think:p)-all 4 wks old

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've always used plastic sheeting underneath the shavings. Never had a problem with it. Just put at least an inch of shavings on top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by