Plastic Waterers that lost their vacumn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by superhornet, Dec 24, 2009.

1. superhornet

superhornet New Egg

Dec 20, 2009
    Go to the local auto supply store and get the bulk gasket material. Cut the material to fit inside the lid. Make two of them and install. When you tighten the lid, the gaskets now control the vacumn and not the "O" ring--works good, last long time.

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    What a great idea! Thanks so much!

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    superhornet [​IMG]

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I quit those red and white waterers as they are too sensitive, algae forms easily here in the summer. I went to the dog waterer by Le Bistro, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7694849 and that has been the end of my algae and every other difficulty. Plus these clean up soooo quick and easy when I do that. I use the 1 gal size for 12 chickens and works great! They are available up to 5 gallons.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. mdbokc

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Here is what mine looks like. They also make them with a removable top for supposed easy filling. I would STAY AWAY from that as that might lead to a potential problem with the loss of vacuum. Stay with the sealed container. It just fits into the watering bowl assembly exactly like the water cooler arrangement in an office. jmho

[​IMG]

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Problem I had with this type waterer was the chickens perching on the edge (backwards) and fouling the water constantly. I now use one with a float that stays connected to the faucet via a high pressure hose. I keep a toilet bowl brush hanging in the fence next to it so that I swish it out real good and empty it. It refills itself and stays full. Cleanup is a lot easier. Of course my water is outside and we rarely ever freeze. [​IMG]

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of these devices need a bit of vaseline around the gasket to make the rubber seal up...

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I have one of those for my dog/cats. The chickens walk in it and manage to tip it over. After a couple of summer days me coming home to them without water - I gave up on that idea. I wired it to the fence and somehow they still managed to tip it enough that all the water ran out. A larger model might help, but dang they are so pricy!

For simplicty now I just use a couple of flat backed Fortiflex buckets in the yard on the fenceline, and one hanging on the chainlink coop gate. I use a double-ended spring hooks to hold it on the fence to prevent tip-over. It's high enough that they only stick their heads in, and I haven't noticed enough perching on them often enough to cause poopy water. I wipe them out with a washcloth put in fresh water every 2-3 days. The dogs, cats, and even wild birds also drink from them. No more gaskets or tipping waterers over and drenching myself, no more thirsty birds from spilling their water!

9. superhornet

superhornet New Egg

Dec 20, 2009
    Slim and green stuff in water ? Tea spoon of OXINE AH in five gallons of water or one oz of clorox per gallon....

10. mdbokc

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    The "chickens walk in it".....it needs to be raised then. My waterer sits up on blocks and they reach it just like they do their feeder. Maybe on the ground/floor, they might abuse it but I have never had a problem with the waterer raised up. But chickens are different as the posts certainly show. This picture illustrates how I elevate the waterer. That may be the difference....maybe not. Just know that I have no difficulty with it or the chickens abusing it in a chicken manner. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In their run and out where they range, I just fill a horse feeding bucket with water. The height is just right to reach over the edge nicely and they drink about an inch out of each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by