Play Doh

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 6, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I wanted to get my dd a play doh extruder however, knowing that the piece of plastic either broke off the handle, or the slider design plates broke loose from the extruder.......

Any suggestion of a nice extruder that is not going to pop off or break?

I thought about using those metal gun polymer clay thingys on Ebay but not sure of the size in what it would be good for my dd to use. She likes to "manhandle" those devices and plays with it alot before the devices starting to show stress cracks.

by the way, she hated the ice cream factory, not kid friendly when you tried to press down and the base would just flip itself over when putting pressure on the extruder. Piece of junk if you ask me! The confetti part would pop off. AND its a real chore getting it cleaned out each use.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Get one of those cheap cookie presses at the dollar store! I think tupperware makes them too![​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    ...and a garlic press. It makes great birds nests and hair.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thank you, looking into those!

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Cookie cutters, cheese graters..... play doh recipe I used to make was 1 cup flour, 1 cup salt, cooking oil and water, sorry don't remember the amounts. Stirred it all together and cooked it on the stove until it got thick. Let it cool, added food coloring and played.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've used homemade play doh for many years using alum powder. Great stuff!

7. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    My mom and I decorate cake and sometimes we have to make hair out of fondant and we have a sculpy ( its for poylmer clay). That dumb thing kills your hands!!! So I would look for something that is going to push a little easier. Our fondant is about the same consintency (sp?) as play doh and it is like super hard to squish through the holes. On the other hand there is no way she could break it...

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Maybe one of those noodle makers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by