Play House Coop- is it Insulated enough?

yankeedoodle300

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Chicken Heaven
I Want to make a Plastic Play House Coop- is it Insulated enough?

I Have the Basic Plans- Cover the windows with poultry Netting- Replace Furniture with nesting boxes and roost - I Have my Idea.

but is it warm Enough?

* There are Pics On BYC Of the " Play House Coop " that i mean- One one Threads-One on The " Coop Design " thingy on here 8

hope its Warm,

... Yank ...

They don't need to be warm. The cold is not ever a problem, once they're old enough to be out of the brooder heat lamps. It's the wind that you have to eliminate, not the cold.
I use a playhouse coop and keep it free-standing inside the middle of the run. From late autumn until early spring, I wrap the run in clear plastic tarps to keep the wind out. The ceiling of the run is open to the air all year long. There's a raised roof of clear, corrugated, plastic roofing panels about ten inches above the welded wire ceiling of the run. So there's plenty of ventilation high up off the chickens. No wind.

we are planning on building a mini carport with the side wrapped in poultry netting.

My family is a Plan-As-you-Go Kinda group.

so, we have basic plans, not complex.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by poultry netting, but please remember that predators have VERY sharp teeth!

Heavy gauge welded wire is a better choice than any sort of netting. And remember to bury it deep and then angle it out, underground, so that the digging predators can't get to your flock.

And don't use staples to attach the welded wire. Some predators can just push and push and push until the staples are ripped out.

Better to use screws and washers.

One more thing: the welded wire is a mesh with holes about one inch by two inches or so. That's big enough for a raccoon to reach in and grab a chicken and pull a chicken leg or whatever right through and bite it off. So, wrap some lighter weight (less expensive) metal mesh fencing that has much smaller holes, around the inside of the first (heavy duty) stuff.

The small mesh fencing only has to be three feet high.

Last edited:
If it is a hollow walled playhouse (like the tyco thingy) you can drill small holes at the bottom and use spray expanding insulation to make the walls have a better R value
smile.png

0073353879010_500X500.jpg

foam-spray-00.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, Poultry netting.

And, Carolyn252 , P. N Is Sorta like Chicken wire, but not sharp.

Who cares about the Coop. It will work, my Dad is an Architect / Salesman.

it WILL WORK OUT, With him Around.

i just wanted to know if it would be Warm enough, and i know this : Keep the Wind out, Keep it Some what Vented, And long live my girls

Quote:
Yeah, Poultry netting.

i just wanted to know if it would be Warm enough, and i know this : Keep the Wind out, Keep it Some what Vented, And long live my girls

You seem pretty upset. You asked for advice, people are trying to help. A great many folks have lost chickens to raccoons and dogs and other critters that tore right through their chicken wire and they are trying to spare you the same experience. Poultry netting is good for keeping chickens out of your garden, not so good for keeping hungry animals away from your chickens. Hardware cloth is the preferred material.

As for your original question, your chickens don't need insulated walls but the spray-in foam is a good idea if you want to insulate. It may help prevent condensation and keep the coop drier.

Quote:
Yeah, Poultry netting.

It will be warm enough you just have to worry about moisture from condensation as the poster above me said....if its wet inside and the cold you run the risk of frostbite to your chickys.

Back
Top Bottom