play house for a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sheila3935, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My DD has 2 bearded Belgian D'Anvers she is keeping them in her room this winter but wants them outside come spring. There is a really cute play house at Rural King that would be perfect with very little modification Only problem is it is made out of cedar. Can something be done to make this work for a coop?

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    don't mean to be a buzz kill..

but it sounds like w/ all the modifications you will inevitably have to do it may be money better spent to just have someone build a coop specifically for the purpose of being a coop

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I went to the Rural King site and looked at the playhouse. Not bad for 198.00. You can paint it inside and out to cover the cedar.
    I bought a 4ft. by 4 ft. playhouse from Lowes awhile back and use it for my call ducks. My hubby secured it onto a treated piece of plywood for a floor and treated 2 by 4 runners. I used hardware cloth over the windows and secure latches for the doors. Since there are no real glass windows in the playhouse you can also cover up some drafts with clear plastic in the winter.
    here is a pic. of mine. Several coats of paint to hold up in the weather..
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by