1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"play pens" for chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backdoorchicken, Sep 5, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    any ideas on how i can inexpensively make a playpen type thing for my chickens? i can't let the free range but i think i can make a semi-movable pen to keep them in. has anyone here ever made something like that? almost like a temporary dog kennel but cheaper and easier to move.

2. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i just cecked craigslist and used outdoor kennels(6x12) are around $100-$200 bucks. i wonder if that is cheaper than what i would be doing?

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I bought a used playyard for kids off CL for my chicks last Spring. It worked great!

Keep searching in the kids section, they go real cheap!

4. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    Quote:how big is it?

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Look under the coop pages at the chicken tractors. Very easy to build, and inexpensive to boot. If you are wanting to keep them in it only during the day, a hoop tractor made from PVC pipe might be just what you are looking for.

7. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    I made a play run out of pvc pipe. It was super cheap and easy. It only took me a couple hours to make by myself. I haven't figured out how to post a picture yet in these messages but if you click on my BYC page there is a picture of it over to the far right. If you like it, I can give you details on how to build it.

8. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    one thing you might consider (if your chickens don't fly) is an X-pen that they use for dogs (you could probably find a used one on craigslist or buy a brand new one at a pet supply store that isn't too expensive). Only thing is the top is open.

9. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    here is a pic of one:

[​IMG]

and you can use 2 together to make it bigger.

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i've gotten chickenwire and attached it to the trees and bushes for them to have some ranging room, but they are only there when someone is in the yard since we have eagles and owls that might want a snack. their main run has netting over the top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by