Play sand (for sandboxes)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onedoodle3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to know if play sand is ok for chicks. I live in WV and we do not have sand. However, my DD has a sandbox she no longer uses and I would like to know if it is ok to introduce my chicks to the play sand. Also, can they use it for grit? I will be heading out in an hour to go to the doc and will try to go to TSC then but in case I don't make it, I really need to know about using it for grit. Thank you for your help!!

2. onedoodle3

btw..I put a bowl in the tote (they are 2 weeks old) for them to get used to using it for a dust bath, and I have 2 chicks that want to eat it. I'm hoping it is ok for them!!

3. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    I have heard of sand being used as grit but I am not sure if sand used in a playground would be okay. With no actual knowledge of facts, the gut feeling for me would be no. There might be chemicals or processing in the sand that might harm the birds. I know some playground sand is "known to cause cancer". Not something I'd be happy giving to my chickens.

4. onedoodle3

ok. I'm taking it out. They seem to love it though. One got in it and layed down. I'll see what else I can find for them.

5. Othylocke

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    I've heard of using egg shells baked as grit for older birds and just plain dirt for chicks.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Hello fellow West Virginian! [​IMG]

Yes, you can use new (washed, never been used, natural and not died/bleached) play-grade sand for grit for chicks, although if they're in an enclosure and only being fed chick food then you don't even need to. If they're outside and have access to bare soil, then they're already finding grit on their own and you still don't really need to, but I was a worrywart myself and offered the sand....my adult birds still have access to sand since we mix it into their run floor to help with drainage. Never had a problem and all are healthy and doing fine.

As a side note, while you can offer chicks/chickens ground, baked egg shells, IT IS NOT GRIT. Never use that thinking it's a grit substitute; it is not. It serves as a calcium supplement and nothing more.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. Othylocke

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Good to know, though I would think it would be just as good a grit as dirt. But I'm no expert :)

8. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Dirt alone doesn't do any good, because dirt is just organic material. It's the sand and other rock fragments in dirt that do the job, and chickens know to pick these tidbits out of the soil if they have access to it. Keep in mind that "grit" works like teeth for a chicken, so it has to be a substance that is hard and able to "chew" up whatever the chicken swallows (from hard-shelled insects to seeds and grain). [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. onedoodle3

Thanks! I went to TSC after my doctor appointment and got a small bag of Chick Grit. They loved it. I had to take it out cause they were only eating it and not their food. I will give it back to them in a little bit. They haven't been outside yet. I HAD planned on doing that today but it didn't work out. Of course, I almost came home with 6 more chicks too. I had to really have a talk with myself to not leave the store with them!! Oh well. Thank for all the help. I worry about them. I'm new to raising chicks if you can't tell. lol

10. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Hehe, yeah, they do that sometimes! If you're not taking them outside at this point, then you really don't need to offer them any grit. However, when you do offer it, just mix a little bit into their feed instead of offering it to them separately. That way they can still pick it up, but can't over eat it.

It's cool, we all have to start somewhere and they are absolutely adorable little foofs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by