1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Play sand in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iPeanut1990, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I want to use sand in my coop once I run out of the bag of shavings I have. Why is play sand not recommended? The only natural sand I can find is technically play sand. Can I use it? If not I'm also looking at Quikrete All Purpose sand. Guidance please? I only need 1-2 bags to fill the coop so I don't want/need an entire truck load.

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    IMO the yellow play sand is too consistent in texture. It supposedly has more silica in it which is bad for the chickens lungs. I use the bagged all purpose or Multi purpose sand from Home Depot. It has a variety of grain sizes my chickens pick up the appropriate sized grains as grit for grinding the food in their gizzards. I only use it in my runs. I use a chopped hay product called Hi Fiber Gold which is a horse forage that comes in plastic wrapped bales and is heat processed to kill mold in my coops at about 4 to 6 inches in depth.
    :thumbsup

3. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    So will the Quikrete all purpose sand work then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by