Play sand

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CathyB, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Ok, my DH was able to get some free bags of play sand from work. I thought it would be great to put a container of it in the coop for the girls to dust bathe in. Well, all they are doing is eating it like it is the best treat ever. Do I let them go or will eating the sand harm them?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    If there is nothing added to the play sand then I would think it would be great for their crops but I do not know this for a fact. Someone will know soon.

3. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks! I hope someone will know soon! It is th esame bags I see at Lowe's and stuff for the kiddies sand boxes.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Here in Northwest Florida there are NO rocks. All my chickens use for grit is sand. I tried putting grit out for them. They wouldn't touch it. One of their favorite treats is for me to run the hose on the sand so they can DRINK their grit.

5. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks! So I guess it is ok for them to have it. I am such a worry wart Mommy!

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I use the super fine pool sand for my house chickens and they use it for grit and dust bathing.

Eventually they will figure out its not food [​IMG]

7. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    All of my runs are at least 6" of play sand all over. It's much easier to rake, soaks up the rain, easy for them to dust bath in and they love digging in it for little bugs that the human eye can't see. It won't hurt them at all!

Jacie

8. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks everyone! I thought I was going to have to take it out. Now maybe all I have to do is go take a dust bath and show them what to do! [​IMG] My DH will think I have really losy my mind if I did that!!

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We have sandy loam soil, grit in the feed, and they still love to dust bathe in play sand and have a container of grit. They can't seem to get enough. I've stopped asking questions, it's a 'chicken thang'...[​IMG]

10. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    We dump a bag of that exact same play sand in our run every once in a while to dry it out, and our girls eat it, too!

Hasn't harmed them a bit-- they're all shiny, happy and healthy. Still haven't convinced them to dust bathe in it, though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by