1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Play toy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by basketmom, Jan 1, 2010.

1. basketmom

basketmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    They just love me when I hang a head of cabbage up for them...to bad it is gone within minutes [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    That's funny! Your so nice to them!!

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Great idea for a toy! I'll have to try that sometime. I like your coop, too--it's very nice!

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    How do you core the cabbage?\\

5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've just taken a large screw driver and jammed it through the cabbage to make a hole for the rope. We call it cabbage pinata at our house and the girls love it!!

6. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks [​IMG] That is what we do, my husband drills a hole through the cabbage and we thread the rope through it with a screwdriver. I have read on here that when it's to nasty to go outside you can hang it in their coop, but I have not tried it inside yet.

7. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    Quote:Thanks, my husband and I did not know what we were doing when he built it, but we love it. Only regret is not insulating it, but so far so good [​IMG]

8. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Cabbage toys are the greatest for a flock. They stop boredom and destructive pecking behaviors. After one of my hens was badly pecked last night (all penned inside barn due to near zero temps), I decided to hang cabbages for play toys. Our local market had NO cabbage! I could hardly believe it...a run on cabbage on New Years Day??? Will try again tomorrow. ~G

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Many people, us included, eat cabbage on New Year's Day for good luck throughout the coming year.

10. basketmom

Nov 6, 2009
    Quote:hmmm, I have never heard of cabbage for good luck? We always eat black-eyed peas for good luck. Might try both next year and have double luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by