Play toys and entertainment items.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    So, we have a big rock in the run the girls already like to jump on. I'd like to add a natural branch swing like I've seen a few folks add. Do your chickens enjoy this? What other entertainment items do those of you with runs use? My girls will be in their run except for some free ranging time. It's 70 square feet (six girls). The coops are outside of that 70 sq ft. I was also thinking a lookout or maybe an old wood ladder or? I have 6.5' of height. Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have......SAND! Ok, so maybe I need to do something too! One thing I do have more for their comfort is a 6 foot circle of wood (end of a very large wire spool) that is up on cement blocks and underneath the sand is somewhat dug out from the chickens digging too cool off. I do want to put a branch in there for them to perch on.

3. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Do these, uh, 'entertainment items' have to come discretely packaged?!? [​IMG]

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a treat ball for my girls.

http://www.treatsforchickens.com/products/Chicken-Toy.html

Basically, just a plastic ball that you can fill with seeds and they have to move it around to get the seeds out. They haven't quite caught on to it yet. Probably cuz I toss out a handful of seeds each morning so why should they bother.

But my meal worm is maturing and I'm thinking I'll put a bunch of meal worms in it and that will give them something to work at. And slow down how quickly they hoover up those yummy treats.

5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    We took and cut down a cedar tree (a big one too) and used the top of it. [​IMG] We trimmed the branches and stuck it in the ground in the chicken pen. They LOVE Love love it! They can get up their and perch and look around. The chicks like to test their wings on it. [​IMG]

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have an old tire with dirt in it for their baths,and two stumps with a board bridged across,and a trunk bolted into two of thw colums in the middle for perching.Otherwise they have to play"who can dig the biggest hole' all day long.

7. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

during the winter when my girls won't come outside for anything, I hang one of those bird seed block things from the ceiling for them to attack and eat to help break the boredom. I also hang a head of broccoli from time to time, which they really enjoy.
    During the spring, summer and fall they spend a lot of time outside the coop/run and they find their own entertainment - mostly trying to push my buttons.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ooh, I love that chicken toy. I'll be ordering one of those. The whole run will be sand so that sounds like it's going to good. Right now it's dirt and they LOVE to make holes. I love the cut down tree idea too. I wonder if I have room for something like that. I'll have to look around at the trees we cut down. Keep the great ideas coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by