Playful cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by edladd, Feb 5, 2009.

1. edladd

edladd In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Ireland
    We have 2 cats at home - one is huge, but he's a big softie, and he's shown no real interest in the chooks so far. The other one is a small cat, but she's really playful. She tears around the house and jumps on anything that moves - and if it doesn't move she'll push it and then jump on it. She is fascinated by the hens, but hasn't had access to them yet. But we're planning to let them free range a bit once they've settled in.

I don't think physical injury will be an issue, but I wouldn't want the ladies to get stressed out if she keeps jumping on them? I'm new to the chicken keeping business - just wanted to see what people think - are chickens liable to be stressed - or will they just ignore the cat and give it a good peck when she gets too annoying?

Cheers,
    Ed

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Those hens will put the fear of feathers into the cat. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

Dodger there just can't resist the chickens. He has to be messing with them. This is usually what happens...

[​IMG]

A full size chicken might run every now and then, but most of mine just turn around and aim for the eyes.
    [​IMG]

4. spook

spook Songster

Precious! I must say I've only allowed Teddy access to the grown girls while on a leash (yes, collar and leash), I don't believe I could trust him. While he was face to them, they were curious to check him out rushing towards him, then as he was walking away, being Siamese cross they found a different color above those chocolate fuzzy things and below that chocolate tail! I did not wait to see what would happen- but I grabbed him and we did not hang around those bad girls.

I know that cats can be predators to poultry, full size hens can be killed by cats, so always watch feral cats and domestic kitties, they are unpredictable, even tho you may know tabby, use caution it may save your heart.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, i should have added that Dodger has lived with the chickens his whole life and learned pretty early not to seriously mess with them. Conversely, the kittens were pretty small when they came to live in the coop, so it didn't take the chickens long to figure out how to deal with them.

[​IMG]

I would never allow a new full grown cat around them. Too unpredictable.

6. My border collie mix is terrified of the hens... they run at her when she investigates too closely... I think that chickens are a match for anything that isn't a crazy predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by