Playground sand for grit?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuts4hotwheels, May 31, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is the playground sand in the bags at Home Depot suitable to use for grit? I have read post of people putting sand in the runs? I was thinking about building a small sandbox for them to scratch in and maybe use for grit. I have also read that they like dust baths.They are only 3 days old, but I am just researching for the future.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:It would be fine for the chicks. They only need it if they are eating something other than chick starter.
    For older birds you will need something a little bigger, granite grit. If they are free ranging and theree are pebbles/rocks/stones in the yard you probably do not need to provide grit.

Imp

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not playground sand, but all purpose or "construction" sand. The playground sand is too fine. The latter has lots of little pebbles and rock bits in it. And it's perfect. Cheaper than playground sand, too.

I buy a 50# bag of it every now and then. I save some for chick grit, put most of it into two kitty litter pans which I place inside the covered run area so they chickens have a place to scratch and bathe when it's rainy, and I toss the rest into a specific spot in the run where they like to dust bathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by