Playhouse Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaNice, Dec 14, 2013.

1. MamaNice

MamaNice Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Just wanted to share my latest DIY creation over at the Nice Family Homestead. I upcycled a kids playhouse into a henhouse. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.
    Click Here to view, or copy and paste the link below.

Thanks! Mama Nice @ NiceFamilyHomestead.com

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    It wasn't mentioned in the video but I would caulk the outside where it meets the base to keep water out, didn't say where you are located but I bet it is going to get hot with the plastic on the Windows.

3. MamaNice

Dec 14, 2013
    Jetdog, i like the caulking idea on the floor. I also thought about using "L" brackets to secure it to the pallets and create a tighter seal. I use a deep little method and haven't had much problem with moisture. I made the coop in the spring and it sits under a little tree so it is shaded in the summer which keeps it cool. I think I need to vent the top though because in the winter it gets stinky in there (when the weather is bad, they don't want to come out). Thanks for the input!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's a very clever and attractive reuse!

Lack of ventilation both summer and winter is a concern, ammonia/humidity from feces/respiration need to be able to vent out of coop....frostbite in freezing climates and respiratory issues can result. 1 sqft of open space is recommended for each bird.

The vinyl could be cut and bent up inside the walls of coop to prevent any water from soaking your bedding. Not sure caulking would stick well enough initially and/or with temp changes to remain water tight.

Hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for predator protection.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very cute! I agree with aart on several points. I'm not a big fan of chicken wire against predators (like it fine to keep chickens out of my garden) - would consider replacing with hardware cloth in the spring. Plexiglass screwed on rather than the plastic would be more flexible for the winter/summer seasons. Just hardware cloth over windows in the warm season, and then screw plexiglass sheets over the windows when cold weather rolls around. I know those playhouses aren't sealed tight, so there is SOME ventilation, but not much. I'm wondering if there's a way you could build a covered roof vent where that moon/sun roof area on the house is...???

6. MamaNice

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Sounds like you would suggest using two different coverings over the windows depending on the time of year? Just swap out the two materials. I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. I was thinking of turing the "sun roof" into a vent but I worried about the heat escaping in the winter? how much ventilations should there be in the winter??

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You don't want to try and 'hold heat', that's a common misconception, ventilation is much more important.
    Chickens are fine with cold, they are wearing down body suits, it's the humidity coupled with freezing temps that frostbites combs and wattles.

Here's a great article on ventilation.

8. MamaNice

Dec 14, 2013
    I'll be adding ventilation today!!!!!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My bantam coop had window openings covered in hardware cloth (attached on the inside of the coop). In my area the temps start dropping in November, so then I screw pieces of plexiglass over the windows (from the outside - the hardware cloth stays in place). I remove the plexiglass once spring hits. It's really easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by