playhouse converison,winterizing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amenfarm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    How did you winterize a little tykes playhouse for winter time? foam in the walls?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I think it would be wise to stay away from foam because the chickens will peck at it and possibly eat it.

How cold does it get in Chattanooga? Perhaps you could get away with a tarp over the top to keep out the drafts. I don't think that would be sufficient where I live, but we get pretty cold weather in the winter.

3. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I meant for the foam to be inside the hollow walls, sorry. We had snow here twice for a week last year. Tempertures get below freezing often during the 3 month winter period--our winters are just not as long as up North. and I'm at the beginnings of the Smokey Mtn.'s in the shade of White Oak Mtn.
    Anyone who has done one of these have a wintertime cold temp. Ideas? I know the basic, keep the ventation up higher for winter and block/close off drafts, anything else?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    You could maybe drill some small holes and spray the expanding foam insulation inside the walls? Just a thought. We're in Maine, and our coop is not insulated, and our chickens were fine this winter despite the cold, so I personally wouldn't worry about it in TN.

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    If you want to insulate, I think that would be fine. As long as there are no breezes blowing through, they'd be okay regardless.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    The one thing with the expanding foam (and I think it's a great product) is DON'T use too much. Ha ha. The plastic coop will start to bow and look like a puffed up marshmallow. Our friend ruined her first go at this (a $10 garage sale find) but the second round came out great and was very well insulated. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

7. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    You could use the window foam, it isn't as insane as the hard yellow kind, it stays soft and marshmellow-y

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by