Playhouse coop ... any lessons learned?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Frundette, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Frundette

Frundette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    NC
    I bought a used Kidkraft playhouse to use as the basis for my new coop. I know I've seen a few similar in the past and was just curious to hear from the people who have done this before.

How did you do yours? Is there anything you wish you'd have done differently? Any general tips or advice before I really jump into this project? Thanks in advance!

It's current state:

[​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Depends on how many chickens. Full sized chickens require about 4 sq ft per bird in the coop if they have a run attached they can go into in the day or free range. If not at least 10 sq ft per bird is required unless you are running a commercial operation. Screen the windows preferably with hardware cloth and it will work for a coop for a few birds. Make some covers/shutter for the windows in the winter, it would be too drafty with all those windows but would be ok in the summer. You want some ventilation in the winter but not that open. I don't know what kind of predators you might encounter in your location a solid floor might be in store along with a closable chicken door.Add a couple of roosts, nest boxes and a board across the floor at the door to keep bedding or sand inside would be good also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by