Playhouse Coop Conversion - Roosts Too High?

quietlyscheming

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Crosby, TX
So I finally got around to putting in the roosts. I have the bottom roost 26 inches from the bedding line. Is this too high? The second row (the ones in the corners) are 10.5 inches from the bottom one.

Roost Diminisions: bottom roost is 42x4x1 inches long and the top are 27x4x1 inches long

My main question is this a good height for the bottom one or should I lower it some? Should I add a latter for easier access?

As a side note, should I add a curtain to shade the light coming in the window or am I just being too obsessive?
big_smile.png

Thanks for the help everyone!

My birds think nothing is TOO high. However, I'd move the perches so that poop doesn't hit your waterers. In the photo it this looks like it is a possibility. (I learned the hard way that if they are above it, poop will hit it.)

you might want to check with someone about roosts. i think they like to roost on something they can cling on to, not a flat surface, if that's what i'm seeing in your pic.

Quote:
Yea I did notice that too. The roost doesn't overhang the waterer that much but I had planned on putting in an angled board to keep the poop off and keep the hens from trying to roost on the PVC bar.

Quote:
I thought that too originally but there seems to be a lot of folks on here that like the flat surface for roosts in their coops (particularly 2x4's with the wide side as the roosting surface). I figured if it doesn't work out I can install one of the numerous dead tree limbs I have laying around my yard.
big_smile.png

Quietly, The flat roost will work just fine. chickens will roost on just about anything and a flat surface of sufficent width is great for them to roost on and cover their feet to keep them warm. Slick, round roosts not so good. Experiment with the heights. I have various heights from 4' to 5 1/2' off the floor and even some of my smaller girls want to go even higher and roost on the walls top plate between the rafters. Ya just gotta have enough landing room for when they fly down.
Erik

I just finished a playhouse conversion myself and put a perch about that same height as well. They perched happily on it for about a week until 1 of the chickens found a higher place to perch (the inside roof frame of the playhouse).

Back
Top Bottom