Playhouse coop, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Dec 9, 2012.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My children have FINALLY outgrown their swingset (I say finally, because I've been eyeing this playhouse since we brought the swingset home, terrible, I know :) ). Anyway, their not using it much anymore, and hurricane Sandy wasn't too kind to it, so we've decided its run its course. At present I have 5 Silkies and 1 tiny OEGB that'll be calling this little house home. I have every intention of adding a few more birds when I bring my 'bator back out and start hatching again in Spring. Probably just 2 or 3 more. The inside is bare, and there's plenty of room for roosts and a few nest boxes. I'm still not sure what to do with its current height and attached porch. I'm thinking I might remove the bottom legs and just set it on cinder blocks. The porch is cute, but if the house only sits a foot or so off the ground, I wont be able to get underneath to remove eggs or chickens that decide to go under. I think this little playhouse has lots of potential, I'm just not entirely sure what I'm wanting to do with it. So, if it were yours, how would you go about setting it up and making it presentable? Here it is to :)
    [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I just see all kinds of potential there. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

3. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    It's just a fabulous thing to make a coop out of! Let us know how you get on :)

4. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It is shameful how jealous I am. I can't wait to see the finished picture! Keep us posted! :pop

6. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    i would leave it at he height it is. You could close off 2 or 3 sides of the bottom with wood, it would give the chickens some place outside that is dry during storms. DO you plan to free range only ? if not close the bottom in with hardware cloth and extend it for a run. Add a door for your access to collect a stray egg or whatever.You will probably need to add some ventilation ( windows with screens, or roof vents). Make the wall that we see as the back in the pic, one large hinged door for easier cleanout.you can add nest boxes on either side with a hinged top and back wall again for easier cleanout. This playhouse is something i looked for when building my coop. Unfortunately i couldnt find one, so a built from scratch. I hope my suggestions help. Good Luck

7. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]cant wait to see what you do with it.

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    At my age I'd leave the legs on so I didn't have to bend over for egg collecting and cleaning.

The porch I'd frame in and cover with 1/2" hardware cloth for a secured viewing area (mini run) for the chickens.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Wow, thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm still considering leaving the porch on, the issue is its alot higher than it looks. The playhouse actually sits about 5ft up. So, if I leave it as it is, the only way to access it would be the door on the porch. Its actually got 3 doors, the one pictured, one at the back that leads to monkey bars and another on the right side that leads to a bridge. I was considering closing off the back door and turning the other into nest boxes that I can access from outside the coop.
    I don't free range my Silkies, but they do have a pretty good sized run, and enclosing the entire bottom would be a great idea. I'm just not sure my spoiled chickens would even attempt the stairs. Their current coop is only 2ft off the ground and most night they refuse to use the ramp.
    I did make a few repairs today (securing flashing, punching shingles, fixing doors, things like that), and I stared at it for a while- but that's about as far as I got. My DH is bringing his excavator home from a job site this weekend, so I'm gonna see if he'll hoist it up and either shorten the legs or remove them altogether.
    My favorite part about this little project is all the possibility. There's another "fort" off to the right (it connects to the playhouse via bride), a swing set to the left and monkey bars off the back- so I have all this extra material to work with for a run or whatever.
    Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm loving them!
    Thanks again!
    Nikki

10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ok, so I went out and measured this thing, and it sits exactly 5ft off the ground. That is definitely too high for my liking. Its alot bigger than I thought it was, too (6x6). I'm 5'7", and the peak is 5'9". I didn't have any trouble standing inside and sweeping it out so I don't think stooping while cleaning will be an issue. BUT- I really like the idea of making a run around the porch. ARGH! I'm just gonna have to keep staring at it a little longer, I guess. To give you all a better idea of what it is, here are a few more pictures :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picture above is from the front door
    [​IMG]
    From the back door, inside pic of the only wall that doesn't have a door. The playhouse has 2 small windows.
    [​IMG]
    This is where the roof meets the wall, there's light shining thru, but I could just barely fit my finger in the crack. I figured this would provide enough ventilation (along with the windows, which I'll cover with hardware cloth). Whoa, those were two awfully long posts! Thanks for hanging in there if you've read this far :D
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by