Playhouse Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fruit Juice, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Does anyone have a Playhouse Coop? (The one by that guy in Madison Wisconsin) Tips?

2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    There are many playhouse coops on the coop design pages.

3. Madman360

Madman360 New Egg

Jul 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    The coop you are describing was designed by Dennis Noonan-Harrison. I built one last summer. Type his name in the search engine and you can find his plans. He is very helpful. He sells his plans for $35.00 and they are very well done. I do not consider myself a very handy person, and it took me two full weekends and a few days to finish. I also made some modifications like a clean out door as I didn't want to have to drop the entire inside panel to clean it out. I opeted not to do the window with flower box either. Just a personal choice. If you go to Youtube and type Playhouse Coop you can see his videio. After you purchase his plans, he sends you a link to his page on Photo Bucket and there you find several pictures of the coop in various stages of completion.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We built our coop from his plans; its been perfect for us. There are whole bunch of construction photos and info on my BYC page. Its a small coop, good for 3 heavy breed birds and maybe 4-5 bantys. In retrspect we could have made the run longer and put the door on the gable end but its still a great little henhouse.

Dennis also has plans for a larger version for up to 10 birds.

Phyllis

5. briznian

briznian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    After looking at the pictures, I made a modified version of the playhouse coop without the plans. It's a pretty simple design really. Like SewingDiva says I put the door on the gable end and then modified the door to the box with a slide/spring mechanism so I can open/close it without going into the run. You can make it pretty cheaply if you have access to scrap wood too. Mine only ran ~$100 mostly for paint.

6. JPapp

JPapp New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    SF, Bay Area
    briznian,

Do you have any pics of your clean out door? I am building this coop - well building something very similar with modifications. I want to be able to clean without having to go inside.

Thanks in advance for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by