Playhouse delivered today (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CityChook, Nov 1, 2009.

1. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Well, the playhouse coop that we've been working on was finally delivered today. No BYC page yet. Will try to get it assembled and then enter into this season's coop contest.

Anyways, this sweet little coop was made by my loving DH for a friend of mine from my kids' school. She adopted three chicks from the Kindergarten egg hatching experiment last spring and they have been living in a rabbit hutch all summer. That won't work when the snow starts flying, so my DH (along with his trusty, hammer wielding friend, Eric) offered up his newly acquired carpentry skills. Even the early Oct. snowfall didn't deter him from completion. Coupled with skillful driving and some extremely strong backed friends (OMG that thing was unbelievably heavy), they delivered it this morning. I couldn't believe the hill that they needed to ascend to get the coop to it's resting spot - quite ominous. The photo does not do it justice...

I just love how this little coop turned out. It's 4x4 with a 4x8 run, fully insulated, has a hardwired electrical outlet and a heat lamp fixture, exterior beadboad siding, ridgecap as well as gable ventilation, a large window and is fully painted inside and out with exterior enamel paint. I think it turned out really cute and it looks great nestled up in the trees in her backyard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    How fun! Neat way to get someone into chickens! I wish I could build something half that cute....love the big window. [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Wow that is really nice, I could live with one heheheheh!

4. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    What an amazing gift! It looks gorgeous in it's new spot. Beautiful!

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Oh how beautiful!

6. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    What would not we do for our chickens! [​IMG]

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Really nice coop. How many chooks? I like that it can easily be added on to, regards the run. I would consider that in springtime, so that they can get more sunshine. With that design, you could have two other runs they could go to. Let one have a rest and divert them to the other one for awhile. What kind of mesh/screen is it? If too coarse, I would add hardware cloth to bottom 24" or 30" of it to keep coons from reaching in to rip body parts off. If chicken wire, do same as chicken wire can be ripped apart by dogs, coyotes or coons.

8. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    lovely story and lovely coop!!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your DH did a SUPER job!! [​IMG] That little set-up is great!! It looks super solid!

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    it's so nice to see people helping people... great coop. i bet they love it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by