Playing dead

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Yesterday was the first day I let the chicks outside in a en made specifically for them. Windguards, half shade, half sun, fresh mown grass, lots of room. Today when I brought them out, I set them down, and every one immediatly flopped with one wing sprawled and didn't move for a minute or so. So cute!

I keep my camera by the back door, but today after taking the brooder outside, I simply forgot then got caught in the laughter of the moment. I will try for tomorrow. maybe wear it around my neck. Can't forget it that way!

Yeah, my chickens do that in the sun sometimes too. It's normal.
smile.png

Last edited:
I had one of mine do this only i truly believe it was playing dead. My kids let the dogs out while I had the 6 week olds having some free range time. On of my dogs is fine with the birds and doesn't bother them at all the other chases them ad I am always there so I can stop her but I think she would hurt them or rather I know she would. Anyway I was talking to a neighbor out front when my son started screaming so I ran out back got the dog and put her in the house. My little guys were running for their lives but I had one laying in the grass I was sure it was dead. My sons says "mom it's still breathing" so I told him I was sorry but it doesn't look too good. I go over to pick her up and she jumps right up and starts running. I pick her up and examine she is fine not a scratch.....Smart bird but not sure playing dead in this instance would have helped. If I wasn't there dog probably would have eaten her anyway.

If it was playing dead that's awesome. As for the one dog that likes to chase them.. I have a friend that just got 12 chickens for their family to have. They also have a dog that by either being aggressive or just trying to play killed 6 of them. They put a shock collar on him that works when you press a hand held button. It didn't take long but now the dog runs when he sees the chickens. Might be something to look into before your birds aren't playing dead.

Quote:
I may just have to do that. They have a wireless fence that shocks them if hey go outside the boundaries....I think i will get the shock collar. She is just an accident waiting to happen right now.

Back
Top Bottom