1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Playing dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kareninthesun, Aug 12, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Yesterday was the first day I let the chicks outside in a en made specifically for them. Windguards, half shade, half sun, fresh mown grass, lots of room. Today when I brought them out, I set them down, and every one immediatly flopped with one wing sprawled and didn't move for a minute or so. So cute!

2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Pics?

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I keep my camera by the back door, but today after taking the brooder outside, I simply forgot then got caught in the laughter of the moment. I will try for tomorrow. maybe wear it around my neck. Can't forget it that way!

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Several of my grown-up chickens do the same thing - they seem to be sunbathing! The close their eyes and snooze, just as if they were on holiday.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

5. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Yeah, my chickens do that in the sun sometimes too. It's normal. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I had one of mine do this only i truly believe it was playing dead. My kids let the dogs out while I had the 6 week olds having some free range time. On of my dogs is fine with the birds and doesn't bother them at all the other chases them ad I am always there so I can stop her but I think she would hurt them or rather I know she would. Anyway I was talking to a neighbor out front when my son started screaming so I ran out back got the dog and put her in the house. My little guys were running for their lives but I had one laying in the grass I was sure it was dead. My sons says "mom it's still breathing" so I told him I was sorry but it doesn't look too good. I go over to pick her up and she jumps right up and starts running. I pick her up and examine she is fine not a scratch.....Smart bird but not sure playing dead in this instance would have helped. If I wasn't there dog probably would have eaten her anyway.

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    If it was playing dead that's awesome. As for the one dog that likes to chase them.. I have a friend that just got 12 chickens for their family to have. They also have a dog that by either being aggressive or just trying to play killed 6 of them. They put a shock collar on him that works when you press a hand held button. It didn't take long but now the dog runs when he sees the chickens. Might be something to look into before your birds aren't playing dead.

8. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    We trained one of our dogs with a shock collar. It turns red, beeps pauses and then jolts them. After the first shock it only took the beep for them to get the idea.

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Quote:I may just have to do that. They have a wireless fence that shocks them if hey go outside the boundaries....I think i will get the shock collar. She is just an accident waiting to happen right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by