Playmaster Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catterbug, Nov 12, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    So I really want to use organic feed but can't get it here and I can't afford to ship it here. So I have been using Layena. I was at another feed store here and they sell Playmaster Feed. Does anyone know anything about this and how it may compare to Layena? The price is about the same.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They all have to have tags showing composition. I would compare before you buy.

My feed store tried to sell me a substitute for Egg Maker.(they had run out) It had lots of ASH in it as an ingredient. NOT for MY CHICKENS!!

I was using Layena and then compared it with Egg Maker... then I noticed that they really do lay more when they are eating Egg Maker so I switched.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  4. catterbug

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes it is Paymaster. They also have a feed by Kalmbach. So I can chose from Layena, Paymaster, Kalmbach and Dumor. I don't like Dumor since it seems like they use animal by products. I prefer organic but right now that is not an option. Any opinions you have would be great. Thanks.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well I will let you know that I use to use Kalumbach Feed it was there 1044 starter grower and liked it till they went to a, "All Natural" mix.
    They took out all the animal protein and it is now a soy based protein feed. When they quit using animal protein I quit using them.

Chris

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I just don't like Dumor because of all the complaints and the seeming lack of quality control from time to time. Plus, I don't like TSC anyway. I do want animal protein in my feeds so I look for that and if the brand goes to all plant proteins, I look for a different feed so I don't use Layena. Never heard of Paymaster or Kalmbach, though. Wish I could help with your comparison more. I'm sure someone will come along and have better information.

7. catterbug

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    So why do people like animal protein in their feed? I thought having ground up animal parts wasn't good?

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:In short chickens are Omnivores just like Humans, Crows, Pigs and Bears so they need a sores of Animal Protein in there diet that you offer them.

Animal protein is easier for chickens to digest than plant protein and even if you, "free range" your chickens, you should be offering some sores of Animal protein.

In most cases even people that say they don't feed Animal protein, do in fact feed a animal protein either in the form of eggs, milk, or milk products.
    I my self feed a feed that contains Fish Meal and I also feed other sores of animal proteins as in milk, milk products beef, pork and poultry.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by