Playsand?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CritterHill, May 25, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Chickies are 4 weeks old today. I decided to put a big bowl with playsand from the sandbox in their brooder to give them something to dust bathe in, but they seem to be eating the sand?

I did give them a bowl of bird grit a few days ago since I had started to give them treats - scrambled egg, dandelion from my garden with roots and dirt, the occasional inchworm.

So I can only imagine them eating a little playsand is ok, but it is much more finely ground than the grit, and I just need something to worry about.

I also saw one of them just opening and closing her beak - no sound coming out (though she chirped bloody murder when I picked her up). She seems to have stopped, but it made me wonder...

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would think they will settle down the eating of it once they get used to it...now the content of the sand is something I am unsure of as far as toxicity.

The opening the mouth and not making a sound, is that one also stretching her neck out as she does this?

If so, that is normal behavior to ocassionally to that.

3. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chick house has sand in the pen area they love it plus it gives them the grit they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by