Playset conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by morf2540, Oct 21, 2013.

1. morf2540

morf2540 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot on this site in preparation for getting chickens for the first time. The original plan was to wait until spring, but after suddenly finding ourselves the recipients of six 2-yr old layers, the building plans are moving into high gear. The idea is to convert an old playset into a coop and run. I have a general idea of how I want it to work, so now it is up to the details.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the playset. In this picture I have already removed the swings, slide, and other accessories, and have started to level it, because it was tilting severely.
    [​IMG]
    OK, here is day 2. Creating a lower level for the chickens, which will have a finished size of 4' x 6'. The upper level will be for storage of chicken supplies. I had an idea to make a 2-story chicken condo, but I don't know if the birds will be willing to climb up that high. The back (shown) will be the food/water area, with a hinged lid that can be lifted up for access. The nesting boxes will poke out next to the existing ladder at the left. This is sized for two 12" boxes. The other side where the swings were will have the pop door and hinged window that can be lifted open for ventilation.

Will post more pics next weekend. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Looking great so far [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Neat idea, looks nice so far.

4. morf2540

Sep 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Nest box with lid (left) and food/watering area with lid (right). This way we don't need to climb into the coop to do the chores. You can just barely make out the narrow window and ventilation openings above the box on the right.

[​IMG]
    Here is the other side. Pop door and nice window (hinged). The front side will have another window, and the whole thing will hinge open (see the black strap hinges)for ventilation and for cleaning.

[​IMG]
    And here is the whole thing. The upper area will be for storage of chicken supplies. It is just wide-spaced decking boards between the upper and lower levels, so ventilation will be good. I will leave the eaves open under the roof, and cut some other vent openings in the upper walls.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Very Cool!!
    What is the material near the hinges of the nest and feed boxes?
    Where are you located?
    Got some pics of the inside?

6. morf2540

Sep 26, 2013
    Good question! I will post a close-up pic over the weekend. I was worried that water would leak down through the gap behind the lid where the hinges are. So I installed a strip of neoprene rubber to cover the gap. The strip is flashed up under the hinges, then lays over the top edge of the lid as you see. Got them online from Grainger for about $5 each for a 6" x 36" strip. They are pretty heavy duty and I think the neoprene will last a long time without drying out or cracking. I probably could have achieved the same result with any old piece of vinyl, but I just didn't have anything on hand that would work.

7. morf2540

Sep 26, 2013
    Here are a few more pics. Coming along pretty well.

[​IMG]Here is a detail of the rubber strip I used to cover the gap at the back of the lid. Seems to work pretty well.

[​IMG]Here you can see things coming along. The entire front of the coop hinges up so we can get in and clean. We are building the run out of bamboo.
    [​IMG]This is a closer pic of the run, uncer construction. We want the chickens to feel like they are in an episode of "Survivor."
    [​IMG]One more pic of the run. Should finish it next weekend.

1 person likes this.
  8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks good!
    Where are you located?
    Will be curious to see how that bamboo holds up.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Doesn't look like a playset anymore, looks like a chicken coop. X2 on the bamboo, does it grow wild?

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where bamboo grows wild....it grows really wild - as in out of control, will go where it wants and there's no stopping it wild.

That stuff is amazing. I harvested some while down in Tenn a few years ago.
    It's renewable building material tho it doesn't last for more than a few year depending on the exposure to the weather it gets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by