Pleae tell me there is another reason for our new dogs melt down???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BookWorm243, Dec 18, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    We rescued a terrier mix a few weeks back, we were told that she is UTD on shots, fixed and house trained. So far that has seemed to be true until recently. We have fostered many dogs for this Animal Control and when a dog needs fixed they take them to a clinic. Every dog or cat that has been fixed gets a little tattoo. She doesn't have one. She had been in a foster home for a couple months before we got her. The people that were fostering her continue to bring dogs in and I hate to say it but they don't keep track as to whats going on. If a female gets pregnant they just keep her until she has the puppies and then they work on finding them homes. Anyway recently our girl has been going crazy!! The sweet dog that loved everyone is now growling at any dog who gets to close when she is eating, playing with a toy, on her bed or just sitting in the living room. At the same time she is constantly crawling up in any humans lap. When we got her she woulnd't eat anything now she eats everything in site, did I mantion she's getting fat? What's her deal??? Someone said she sounds like she's pregnant, which I am starting to wonder just because she has no tattoo, or scar on her belly. Any Ideas??

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    In my experience any stray mature female dog of unknown history is most likely pregnant. Get ready for puppies!

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    It could be that she is pregnant if somehow she slipped through the cracks before coming out of AC. Or it could also be that the "honeymoon" period is over. During the first few weeks in a new home, dogs are still adjusting and getting used to their new surroundings. This often causes them to change from their normal behaviors. Once they are comfortable in their new home, their true behavior/personality can emerge. Sometimes these "behavior changes" are for the better, sometimes not so much. The growling sounds to me like resource guarding. She may just finally be comfortable enough in her new home to be possessive of "her" food, toys, and space. It's not uncommon for dogs who are stressed to stop eating or not eat much at all, so the increased appetite could just be her being comfortable enough now to feel like eating. If she's eating a lot more, that alone could cause her to get fat (you didn't say how much she eats or weather she's fed controlled amounts or free fed). I would give it a little longer to see if there are any other physical changes to indicate pregnancy or schedule an appointment with the vet for x-rays to check for puppies.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    vet visit! they can determine if she is pregnant and do an emergency spay if necessary. If she was supposed to be spayed when you adopted her, then I would also contact AC and let them know and try to get reimbursed! spay/neuter is covered under your adoption fee.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Could it be that now that you've had her for a few weeks her true personality is starting to show? Could be why she is resoure guarding. Both stray cats that I recently took in are getting heavy too; regular meals will do that.

I agree with Dainerra. Time for a vet visit.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Maybe she is in heat?

My Shih Tzu turns into witch-on-wheels when she's in heat. She growls at the other dogs and does not want to be touched. Which is VERY unusual for her.

Maybe your pup is having a silent heat or false heat? I agree with going to the vet.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 Solid, sensible advice.

8. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Well we found out that she is pregnant ( go figure [​IMG] ) The shelter we got her from was happy to take her back but I knew that they would just get her fixed and kill the pups. So they got in touch with a rescue that was willing to take her and she has already been placed in a home. We couldn't keep her because about 2 months ago we fostered a dog who we sadly had to put to sleep [​IMG] ( they believe that she may of had parvo ). We couldn't risk having puppies here [​IMG] She is in her forever home now and there is a rescue ready to find her pups good homes! [​IMG]! While we didn't get to keep her, we are happy she has a good home!

9. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Couldn't they have fixed her and given her back to you? I know the idea of doggie abortion is distasteful, but so is the number of unwanted pets in shelters. Ok, off that soapbox.
    Next soapbox. Is the "foster home" that let her get preg a foster home for the AC, or just someone who takes dogs in on their own? If they are fostering for an agency, that agency needs to get smart and stop putting intactanimals there. If they are an individual, is there anyone who can help make sure they get the pets fixed right away?

10. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    yea..keep an eye out for puppies! I have rescued 3 and 1 of them got stressed out and depressed (we were the 3rd owner) and she did the same thing. We got her a kennel just for her, her own toys and blankets were put in there and her own bowl and we fed her in there and even played ball with her and it was her special ball. Now shes a sweetheart and loves everyone, just had to learn her boundaries and that she was safe and had her own stuff no one was going to take.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by