Pleasant Surprise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Black Feather, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Came home to a nice surprise tonight.

My hatch for the weekend had pretty much finished except for one last egg in the incubator. It was 3/4 hatched all the way around, but had not made much progress for about 24ish hours. Now me being a bit of a softy and knowing I had been in and out of the incubator a few times decided to help this little one out of the egg as I suspected it wouldn't have a whole lot longer to live otherwise. Sure enough it had dried in the eggs a bit most likely making it impossible for the little one to hatch. Once out of the egg I dried it off a bit and placed him in the brooder with the rest while I did the morning chores. When I came back in the little guy was not looking good at all and I figured it had gotten past the point of no return so I placed it back in the incubator to pass away quietly on it's own without being trampled by it's clutch mates.

Low and behold when I got home to take the 'body' out of the incubator it was there peeping at me, all dried off and running around! What a nice surprise. It's now in the brooder running around with the rest of it's siblings.

Urban Coyote

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    aw what a great surprise! Congrats!!

3. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    What a lucky little guy! I love a story with a happy ending

4. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Nice! congrats!

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I always love a happy ending [​IMG]

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh, I am so glad he made it for you. What a nice story to read, thank you so much for posting it.

7. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty nice too. He's still up and kicking this morning so I consider that a good sign. Maybe I should mark him so I will know which chick has the greatest survival instinct. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Wow! That is wonderful! What a releif.

[​IMG]

We have one that we helped who is now our favorite chicken by far.
    It's like she knows that we helped her.

Congratulations on the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by