Pleasant surprise!

Melinda35

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
I have been missing three EEs for the last three weeks or so. I thought that may be a hawk had gotten them as I have not had any predators and there was no sign of feathers anywhere. Saturday I was at the clothesline and I heard the sweetest chirping noise that I knew was a baby chick but I don't have any baby chicks. I have two pullets in the coop wanting so bad to be mommies but I wont let them because I dont' have time for baby chicks right now. I followed the noise all the way to the barn. I found one of the EEs in the trailer with a whole bunch of eggs and one baby chick! Another one hatched later but could not stand up or even open its eyes and then two others were not fully developed. Momma stopped sitting on the eggs as well and was just tending to her one chick. I decided to give the eggs to the momma wanna be's in the coop. If I am going to have one chick I might as well have 10 or 15! Later that evening my husband was parking his tractor in the shed and hollard at me asking if I had let the momma out with her chicks. No I had not! There was my other EE with two baby chicks. She apparently was in the tractor shed. We hunted for her nest and found about 10 more eggs. Two where chirping and about to hatch. One had hatched but the ants got it. I moved all eggs to my momma wanna be's so they would have a safe place to hatch and besides their real mom was not coming back as she was busy with her two babies. I made a nice nest in the coop where momma from barn and baby could stay in the coop. This morning I gave her the two that hatched under my wanna be's and she accepted them nicely. Can't catch the other with her two babies but have provided water for them and they are free ranging. I figure she will join the others when she is ready. Momma in coop is able to come and go as she pleases but babies cannot get out.

What really surprises me is that these pullets were just born in March and have only been laying for about a month. Most of my eggs are not even full size yet. I am really surprised that anything hatched at all. Also all my roosters are bantams, two dark brahams, one silkie, and one red one that I can't remember what he is called. So far three babbies have feathered feet and two do not. These babies are going to be interesting looking.

Even though I do not have the time for babies it is very helpful that mother nature is doing most of the work.

Thanks for reading my story! If I have anymore hatch I will update and may be a picture or two as soon as I can.

edit for spelling...I apparently can't spell babies!
roll.png

Last edited:
If hens were not able to care for chicks without human help we would not have the chicken. We never bothered hens on the farm growing up, they would bust our butts, along with the dogs, cats and occasional coyotes! Congratulations on letting nature work for you and enjoy.

Just curiosity.... at the start you say you are missing 3 EE. Did the 3rd show up or is she still missing? She could come out with some other chicks.....

Only bad part of this story: THERE ARE NO PHOTO'S!!!! It must be too sweet to see

Quote:
No the third one has not shown up. I am quite worried about that. I also have another one hatching right now. There is no telling how many I will end up with especially since my time is so limited right now. I work full time and I am taking a biology class that is kicking my butt! Plus I have football games to attend. I will try to get pictures today. I had class yesterday so no time for pictures.

Thanks for all of your sweet replies.

Back
Top Bottom