Please advise!! All my broody hens eggs are gone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gertsgal, Jul 6, 2010.

1. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    My polish hen went broody on June 30th. I do not have a rooster so I put 4 fertile eggs from a friend under my polish. I marked them and all was going great until today when I got home from work i checked on my polish. All 4 of the marked eggs were gone (except for half of a shell) and my polish was sitting on the 3 eggs layed today by my other girls.I check for snakes frequently. My questions... do squirreles take eggs? could my other chickens have eaten them? What do I do with my broody polish now that she has no fertile eggs?What did I do wrong? I'm so sad.

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry!
    I had that happen to me...9 eggs and a happy broody one day and then 8 eggs. That's as far as it went but I never figured out where that one egg went. I was terrified I may have grabbed one on but it in my selling eggs. [​IMG] but no one ever said a thing and since I still have all my customers I think a snake might have snuck in an open window and snatched one.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    A snake wouldn't have left half a shell. Something else got them. I'm sorry.

4. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    maybe it was the hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by