Please advise as to solutions to pasting

Irajoe

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
South Carolina
Several of my one week old chicks are having problems with pasting.

I'm using the starter chick feed from Tractor Supply...should I be adding anything to it?

The brooder temp (under the light) is 82...I don't think that's the issue.

And, the 12 are in a large dog cage (24x36)...so I don't think it's stress.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

I don't know what's causing it, but I had trouble with this with one chick recently. I had to keep cleaning it's bottom for the first few days due to pasting. It seemed to clear up on it's own.
idunno.gif

Thanks for the reply...I've been doing that same thing, but 4 or 5 of mine are pasting. So, I tend to think it might be the feed.

start them off with warm water with vitamins and electrolites in it. I use to have that problem real bad until someone on here told me to give them the warm water. I don't think it has anything to do with their feed but I could be wrong I am no expert

oh also how old are they? 1 week they should have temps of 95 then you drop it 5 degrees a week.
stress causes chicks to get pasty butt it is not constipation but diareah that causes it them getting too cold can cause their intestins to freeze up and cause pasty. also them being too hot can cause it too. anything that would put them under stress can cause it. it should clear up within a week just keep the vent clean and from getting blocked off . If it gets blocked off it can kill them.

If everything else is fine cold temps are usually the cause mentioned for recurring pasty butt. 82 is usually too cold for 1 week olds by about 10 degrees. They should still be around 90 and probably 85 minimum. The earliest any of mine have been comfortable around 80 was 2 1/2 weeks. I keep my house about 80 in the summer and any attempts to remove the heat lamp before that time resulted in noisy, huddled up, and sometimes shivering chicks.

i lost 3 chicks to pasting and i was useing tc feed i went to blue seal mash and its all good now the chicks seem to like it more to

Back
Top Bottom