please advise, full crop, eggy discharge from butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by getreal, Oct 13, 2015.

1. getreal

getreal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    hi I have a 1 yr old leghorn hen that's been acting ill. her face and comb were extremely pale and she had nasty stuff dripping from her vent. I thought it might be vent gleet so I put alone and gave her yogurt with nutri drench and scrambled egg with a little oatmeal yesterday after a warm soak. she ate it all so I put her back with the flock in the evening. this morning I found her standing puffed up, wings down and pale as can be. and yellow and clear liquid dripping from her and on the floor. she has passed soft shell eggs in the past. I almost lost her that time. I had to leave so I put her alone with more yogurt and water. when I got back she hadn't touched the yogurt and looked like she hadn't moved. I brought her in under a heat lamp and wrapped in a towel. I noticed she has a large hard lump where crop area is. what do I do first? please advise!!

2. getreal

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    Tilley is gone.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. :hugs

-Kathy

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you have lost Tilley :hugs

5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    sorry for loss
    just a wondering but would massage her crop have helped yall??? for future references....
    do yall think she had a specific problem.yall? for future reference too???
    I too would have liked to know if anthing would have helped Tilly ????
    I ask cause my older girls look emanciated and crops getting lighter
    thanks all

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A full crop right before death is quite common, so massaging it would not have helped.

-Kathy

7. getreal

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    thank you everyone. I tried massaging. I read what I could find here and tried stool softeners in baby food and epsom salts bath and a little in water but she was too far gone to bring back. let me just say I did all this at zero hour hoping for a miracle. I would never done it all at the same time otherwise, but none of it had time to work before she passed. she was a fighter. I don't know if I'm cut out for this....

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

9. getreal

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    thank you

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by