Please advise- not sure how to treat this HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethgranberg, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    1 BO, 2 SLW, 1 New Hampshire, 1EE, All these pullets are 3 years -2 Bovine Brown new to flock and aged 12 months

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

5 older birds drinking eating fine, but coughing sneezing shaking heads wet vents and black feathers by vents,
    2 younger birds listless and bloody watery diariea, lice

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    NO

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Brought 2 new pullets into closed flock (against my better judgement-regrets)

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eating and drinking normally all birds, homestead layer crumble fresh water daily

E6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    5 older pullets poop looks normal on ground but not on butts black feathers around back feathers, 2 younger pullets water with blood very runny especially one small pullet she seems to be worse than all the rest

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Treated lice by dusting birds with Insectrin dust, no visable lice currently daily inspection of birds no lice for 2 weeks now, treating with Vet RX in water and spraying on older birds with spray bottle as per directions on bottle

T8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Treat myself if possible

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No pics I have dial up internet takes hours to download and upload pics

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Bedded on clean pine shavings 2 outside runs only locked in at night because of predators

Asking for advice before administering any drugs, for fear I may make conditions worse. Have read many posts hear on BYC and none really mtching up exactally, I am guessing worms from the lice, maybe cocci??? Not sure at all....have to order all meds for lack of good source for meds as we only have farm and fleet our feed store stopped carring medications, is ony doing feed now. I would be so grateful for any thoughts or where I can go from hear just trying to keep them clean and comfortable for now until I can pinpoint what they may be suffering from. Thank You so much I have lost alot of sleep to say the least...

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I believe the directions for deworming are Wazine followed by Ivermectin. If you can PM dawg53 he is great and can tell you the exact amounts and how to administer them. I am kind of new at this and still learning myself. But this is what was reccomended to me to treat my Red a RIR. Good luck and I hope this helps!
    Mollie

3. bethgranberg

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Thank You greatly for reading my post and your advice I do have the wazine so I am ready to administer but I was worried after reading it stesses the birds out but i think a de worming is in order-greatly appreciated

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    You are welcome! [​IMG] Sorry I couldn't tell you more.
    Mollie

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It sounds as tho the new birds brought a respiratory illness into your flock....no way to know what you're dealing with without having one of the ill birds tested.

6. bethgranberg

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Thank You for taking time out of you busy day to help!![​IMG]

7. bethgranberg

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:Katy thank you can I ask would it be possible for the new birds to show no sign of respitory distress, and the 3 year olds to be suffering?

8. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I think they may have both a cold and coccidiosis. It may also be Gape Worm. The bloody vents and stool sounds like coccidiosis. It can be made to show up more if their system is stressed with a cold. Worming them is also a good idea. Lung worm (also called Gape Worm) can cause breathing probems and dealth if not treated quickly. I would check the worner and make sure it treats that. Then, treat for coccidiosis. Corrid is their water works well. Then, the cold then may clear up on its own. If the worms are making them cough, then the wormer will help.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Katy thank you can I ask would it be possible for the new birds to show no sign of respitory distress, and the 3 year olds to be suffering?

Yes, they can be carriers and not show any signs but still pass it on to your birds.

10. bethgranberg

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Ok Great thanks this helps so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by