Please advise on incubating call duck eggs!

Cordell

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
We started incubating 6 call duck eggs on 12-23. One never developed the other 5 veined. Out of those there are 2 that have dark spots about half the size of a dime that seems to be staying in the same spot the last couple of times we candled and the air sack looks large and not shaped right. The other 3 you can see moving in the shells. Do you think the two with the dark spots are quitters and should we remove them at this point?
Tried posting on incubation ahd hatching thread but got not answer.
Thanks so much!

It certain does sound like they have died early in the incubation. If you are still in doubt, give them a few more days (as long as they do not begin smelling they will be fine in the incubator) then candle one more time for any movement.

While talking to Call breeders, they always talk about how hard it is to incubate them.

Keep us updated!

Last edited:
I was told by a man who raises them, that ducks eggs, especially Calls, do better if you turn the eggs manually and not with an automatic incubator. I don't know if this is your situation or not. I plan on incubating some myself this spring. I hope I do well.

I had a discussion a couple nights ago with a breeder of Call ducks and their problem with fertility. He set a little over 300 Call eggs and only hatched 50- 55 last year. So it happens to the best of them. But, what I wanted to share is that his favorite incubating method, it turns out, is simply under a broody duck. You see, he has some culls in his backyard and he lets those pair off and mate. Then when those hens go broody, he trades out their eggs with his better breeders' eggs. They can hatch out 10 out of 12 eggs almost every time.

I have read that a alternate method would be using a Silkie. Hmmmm....maybe next year I can report first hand on both methods.

Turning by hand, well, that is a idea I've not heard.

Interesting subject.....where are the Call Duck breeders??

I do raise Calls, although I am new. I got the turn by hand method from an older man who raises them. He turns each egg at least 4x a day. I also have silkies. I might try both this year and see what I get.

We started out turning by hand. Then we received the correct size insert for the incubator about a week after we started them. We are now doing a combination of the auto turned and DH turning. The 2 eggs looked different last night so we will continue to hope. I will just be thrilled if the three that we can see moving make it thru the incubation and hatch and beyond........ They will be our first ducks and we are so excited. We already have a dog run enclosure ready.

Back
Top Bottom