Please advise on leg problem UPDATE PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rocky Top Chick, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi all,

I posted last week about our girl who has a broken leg. We set the leg and wrapped it up. DH had it too tight and her foot swelled and blistered. I immediately took the wrapping off and started treating the blisters with antibiotic ointment and now I have made her a little shoe with old pillowcase where her toes can peek through, but the foot is covered. I felt as if air needed to get to the foot to heal all the cracked and open skin from the swelling. It is looking much better but a long way to go. My problem. The skin is splitting where the break is and I don't know how to treat it. I have the popcicle sticks on either side with a very small amount of vet wrap to secure the sticks, but I can see the skin splitting between the sticks. Any ideas on how to treat this part of the leg without taking the splints off every night. On top of that my dogs ate a ton of vetwrap and I was worried they would become obstructed, so call the Emergency Clinic and they recommended 1 tablespoon of Hydrogen proxide for every 20 pounds to make them vomit. It worked, so I had an injured chicken, and two dogs vomiting all in one night. What else can happen???? Any help will be appreciated for Bunny. BTY she is eating and drinking well and her foot is warm so I think we caught the too tight wrap in time.

Hubby just called and he thinks her foot in infected. Does not smell but I want to start on antibiotics, what do I use. PLEASE HELP ME, she is our favorite.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Please anyone?

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If it were me, I would use the PenG injections. The antibiotic powders you add to the water don't treat skin infections. Our Tractor Supply and Tru Value Hardware carries this.

Good luck!

4. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much. Any idea of the dosage.

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    It SHOULD state on the bottle-it does say you need a heavy gauge needle to administer this.

6. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks again, will get to TSC after work.

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Sorry I can't help with the dosing, I tried to do a quick search on here for you, but couldn't come up with anything really fast. It should be in the refrigerator section where they keep vaccines and such.

Sure hope she makes it for you!

You could also put Neosporin without pain reliever directly on the skin of the legs.

8. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I actually have been putting ointment on the foot, but when DH said it was now oozing green I freaked out. She is an EE so maybe he is just seeing her green feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by