PLEASE ADVISE - Whats my next step?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vidpro23, Nov 9, 2013.

1. vidpro23

vidpro23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    OK purchased a mixed flock of 13 off Craigslist 4 weeks ago. No existing chicken on property (thank goodness!) All was going well,...everyone seemed healthy,....then 4 days ago my rooster starts making raspy frequent choking sounds,...got worse overnight,..within 36 hrs died.

Today I noticed one of hens squeezing - caught her. Breathing raspy, gurgling sounding lungs, open beak, and some dried discharge under eyes.

I put her in dog kennel away from others - is there any point in that?

Everyone else sounds quiet and healthy at this point.

Whats your next move? What antibiotic do you buy? Only have a tractor supply and local hardware,...and local places close on weekend.

Prefer something not injectable,...but if I have no other choice,...

Please advise!

thank you

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. soliloquie

soliloquie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Everett, WA
    Are there other symptoms? What's the poop look like? Pay really close attention to everything- sometimes you don't realize a symptom is a symptom until hindsight. I would try duramycin and adding electrolytes to their water, both of which you should be able to find at your feed store. I use 1 T per gallon dura for 14 days that slowly steps down towards the end. You should be able to find better instructions on-line. The electrolytes are usually packaged for chicks but I figure it can't hurt. I also give poly-v-sol WITH OUT IRON to my birds when something seems amiss- this is a baby vitamin that you can pick up at most drug/grocery stores . They hate the taste of it but if you put the drops on the tip of their beak they usually drink it down or you can try adding to their water. Or some of the feed stores have vits for chickens too. I'm sure other's have different approaches and may find some of the things I do pointless but here's a start. I also like "the chicken health handbook" but it can be over whelming and a bit scary so you have to be really discerning in all your symptoms or you'll think you have the most exotic and horrendous disease possible. Moves are stressful for birds and that leaves them a bit compromised. Hopefully it's nothing too serious but you never know. Have you asked the previous owners what their care was and if they were giving supplements or regular dosing of medications? Is it a new coop or a recycled one? Was it disinfected properly? Also try contacting your area's extension office to see if they have any resources. And yes always isolate.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would buy oxytetracylcine (Terramycin), or Tylan Soluble Powder to put in the water. Other meds if you can't find those are Gallimycin , Spectinomycin, or Lincomycin. These would all treat mycoplasma or CRD. If you notice any bad smell about the face of the bird, switch to sulfadimethoxine or Di-Methox.

4. vidpro23

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts!

the only thing I could get today was tylan 50 and vetrx,...Ill have to order one of the other two

What are your favorite places online to order from for meds and supplies?

thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 is fine. It is injectable, but some people recommend using it orally as well. It would be best to inject it if you can. Dose is 1 cc or ml for full size chicken over 5 lb, 1/2 cc under 5 lb, and 1/4 cc for bantam, once a day in the breast muscle for 3-5 days. Alternate sides of breast daily.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  6. vidpro23

Sep 15, 2013
    So I put on my big girl pants and gave the chicken a shot [​IMG] of the tylan 50 1 cc for 4 days now. She is living the single life in a run we were buying for keeping rabbits.

the first night I grabbed her for a shot - she was sitting on my lap sideways and a bunch of fluid (cloudy waterish) came out of her mouth- I let her drain and then when returned to cage she sounded much better,...not gurglely. ,....same thing the next night. is that normal? (sick chicken normal) - her poos look pretty good and well formed

how long after all symptoms disappear before she can go back? and how long after tylan 50 do I have to wait to eat eggs again?

thanks!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Congratulations--you have now done this 1 more time than I have, LOL. I think chickens can regurgitate rather easily when they are sideways and the head goes down. She may have a little crop stasis or even sour crop just because she is sick. I would put her back in the flock soon because they have all been exposed already, and she may get picked on the longer she is separated. Tylan egg withdrawal is 1 day. I haven't ordered drugs online, but when I look them up for people, I use the cheapest site--Jefferspet, Valleyvet, qcsupply, and Amazon all seem popular. I just Google the "drug for sale"I need and the names pop up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Beldenfarm

Beldenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    i would highly recommend putting antibiotics in your entire flocks water source, because they have been exposed to the sick chicken! others may begin developing symptoms if you do not treat everybody. you may not need to go as drastic as shots for everyone so the water source will be good. make sure you dont stop the dosage until the entire time has passed 10-12 days, or it may just come back!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I disagree with treating the rest of your chickens unless they come down with symptoms. They have been exposed and are carriers, but it is not necessary to treat until they become sick. They may never get sick, or only when they become stressed. I would get some antibiotic for treating water just to keep on the shelf. Here are 3 good antibiotics for treating (in the water) CRD from Jefferspet: http://www.jefferspet.com/agrimycin-343/camid/LIV/cp/16342/cn/3502/
    http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=WJ-G5&green=2ddf7002-2e9e-ce46e9-a9ce-a28fde95babc
    http://www.jefferspet.com/tylovet-soluble/camid/LIV/cp/BVS-AA/cn/3502/

10. vidpro23

Sep 15, 2013
    WOW - I was thinking I had to throw out her eggs for 30 days

I have been treating the water with ACV in one waterer and Vetrx in the other waterer for now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by