1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please Advise!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Horsegirl412, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Horsegirl412

Horsegirl412 In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I am planning on getting hens soon! I am looking for the most docile, friendly, happy, content, ect. breed! One that will just sit on your lap, and is ok with kids loving on it! i have heard some people say their chickens know their names and follow them around! I would love our chickens to be a great family pet, and not just egg layers;) Thank You for your help.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    There are quite a few breeds that are very calm and can be tamed to that degree. These include Silkies, Orpingtons, Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. I have had all of these breeds at one time or another except the Faverolles (I still have Orpingtons and Australorps and a neighbor of mine had Faverolles) and my children, and now my granddaughter, have made lap pets of them. If egg production is not an issue at all, the Silkies are the easiest to keep on your lap as they are quite a bit smaller that the other breeds on this list. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. If egg production is an issue, the Australorps are the best layers on my list.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I can only speak for myself, but I chose to go with the Black Australorp breed. Very docile, friendly, very hardy, excellent laying hens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sit with my girls daily...boy, can they 'talk'!! They'll walk up to me and rub against my leg...I think they're wanting to get petted. I just love the breed, but I'm sure others here at BYC have their favorites, too

5. Horsegirl412

Jul 26, 2014
    We are looking for egg production as well. Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, and Plymouth Rocks. But I would be interested in anything docile!

6. Horsegirl412

Jul 26, 2014
    Are Australorps especially noisy? We live in a town with neighbors and we don't want especially vocal birds.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    All of those breeds on your list are good layers, but not good lap pets (except the Australorps). I have had all of them, and sometimes the Rhode Island Reds can be quite aggressive. Less so with the Plymouth Rocks, but on rare occasions I have had an aggressive Rock as well. The Easter Eggers are not aggressive, but are more skittish than the Australorps and don't like being held.

8. Horsegirl412

Jul 26, 2014
    What about Buff Orpingtons?

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I don't find mine to be noisy at all. Actually the opposite...they're as quiet as mice unless they see me....then they start "talking" ....so cute!

10. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Rhode Island Reds (RIR) tend to be a bit on the aggressive side...they have a mind of their own...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: